Secret characters, also known as optional characters or hidden characters, are playable characters that do not join the party during the main storyline. They are hidden as rewards for completing sidequests. If their existence is even mentioned, it is often only vaguely hinted at.
List of secret charactersEdit
- Calca and Brina could count as secret characters. Although they're playable for the start of Rydia's Tale, the player can permanently lose both of them if they are not fixed at the end of the tale, the method for which is not explained in-game.
- Gekkou, Zangetsu, Tsukinowa, and Izayoi can die during their missions in Edge's Tale, and they will never rejoin for the rest of the game.
- Golbez can be lost permanently if the player doesn't have him, Cecil, Rosa, and Ceodore in the same party before confronting the Dark Knight on the True Moon's Subterrane.
At one time or another, all of the main eleven party members join the party in the World of Balance. However, in the World of Ruin, only Celes, Setzer and Edgar are required to be found to complete the game—all other characters are optional.
- Mog can first be found and recruited either in the World of Balance or the World of Ruin. He is found on the Narshe Cliffs in the World of Balance and in the Narshe Mines in the World of Ruin.
- Umaro can be seen briefly during the World of Balance, but he can only be recruited in the World of Ruin when Mog is in the party, when apprehended in Yeti's Cave.
- Gogo can be recruited in the World of Ruin, in Zone Eater's Belly.
- Shadow can only be obtained permanently if the player waits for him on the edge of the Floating Continent. Otherwise, he is unobtainable for the rest of the game.
- Yuffie appears as a Mystery Ninja random encounter in forests.
- Vincent is found in the locked room in Shinra Manor basement, opened with the key obtained from a safe from the mansion.
Though s/he must join the party for the party's trek to the Outer Continent, Quina can be recruited earlier. If the party ventures to Qu's Marsh after leaving Lindblum on foot, s/he can join until the end of Cleyra.
The following Paradigm Pack monsters cannot be recruited by turning them into a crystal in battle, but instead require the player to search for them using the Moogle Hunt ability, or through completing an optional location. These monsters are unique and only one can be obtained, but can be reacquired as a drop from various versions of Valfodr, a DLC boss.
- Rangda (Valfodr Lv. 1, rare drop)
- Cactuarina (Valfodr Lv. 45, rare drop)
- Leyak (Valfodr Lv. 1, common drop)
- Chichu (Valfodr Lv. 70, rare drop)
- Nanochu (Valfodr Lv. 70, common drop)
- Silver Chocobo (Valfodr Lv. 15, common drop)
- Cactuarama (Valfodr Lv. 45, common drop)
- Golden Chocobo (Valfodr Lv. 15, rare drop)
- Twilight Odin (Valfodr Lv. 99, rare drop)
- Beowulf Cadmus can join in Chapter 4 after seeing a cutscene in the Clockwork City of Goug with Besrudio Bunansa, and listening to a rumor at Mining Town of Gollund's tavern. Traveling to Lesalia next will introduce Beowulf as a guest at the local pub, and he will join as a full party member if the player helps him on the quest he is on.
- Reis Duelar joins as a Holy Dragon the same time Beowulf does, but joins as a Dragonkin if the player continues the quest and ventures to Nelveska Temple.
- Construct 8 joins in Chapter 4 after obtaining the Aquarius auracite from Beowulf's quest, and returning to the Clockwork City of Goug with it.
- Cloud Strife can join the party after a string of sidequests that starts by visiting Clockwork City of Goug. Ramza must buy a flower from a flower girl in the Trade City of Sal Ghidos and later spot Cloud attempt to save her from a group of thugs. Helping Cloud defeat the thugs has him join the party.
- Byblos appears in the Midlight's Deep as a monster that resembles a Reaver. He serves as a guest during the battle with Elidibus and if he survives, he joins Ramza's party.
The following characters are added in The War of the Lions:
- Balthier joins after Ramza hears two rumors about precious cargo, and is ambushed in the Dorter slums.
- Luso joins after leaving the Orbonne Monastery in Chapter 3, when Ramza encounters him being chased by Behemoths in Zeklaus Desert.