Secret Characters, also known as Optional Characters or Hidden Characters, are playable characters that do not join the party during the playthrough of the main storyline. They are hidden as rewards at the end of sidequests. If their existence is even mentioned, it is often only vaguely hinted at.
List of secret charactersEdit
- Calca and Brina technically count as secret characters. Although they're playable for the start of Rydia's Tale, the player can permanently lose both of them if they are not fixed at the end of the tale, the method for which is not explained in-game.
- Gekkou, Zangetsu, Tsukinowa, and Izayoi can die during their missions in Edge's Tale, and they will never rejoin for the rest of the game.
- Golbez can also be lost permanently if the player doesn't have him, Cecil, Rosa, and Ceodore in the same party before confronting the Dark Knight on the True Moon's Subterrane.
At one time or another, all of the main eleven party members join the party in the World of Balance. However, in the World of Ruin, only Celes, Setzer and Edgar are required to be found in order to complete the game—all other characters can be re-recruited or not at the player's whim.
- Mog can first be found and recruited either in the World of Balance or the World of Ruin.
- Umaro can be seen briefly during the World of Balance, but he can only be recruited in the World of Ruin.
- Gogo can only be recruited in the World of Ruin.
- Shadow can only be obtained permanently if the player waits for him on the Floating Continent. Otherwise, he dies and is unobtainable for the rest of the game.
Script error By completing certain sidequests the following characters can join the main team:
Though s/he must join the party on disc 2, Quina Quen is obtainable on disc 1.
The following monsters cannot be recruited by turning them into a crystal in battle but instead requires the player to search for them using the Moogle Hunt ability or through completing an optional location. These monsters are unique and only one can be obtained. However, all of them can be reacquired as a drop from various versions of Valfodr who appears as a DLC.
- Rangda (Valfodr Lv. 1, rare drop)
- Cactuarina (Valfodr Lv. 45, rare drop)
- Leyak (Valfodr Lv. 1, common drop)
- Chichu (Valfodr Lv. 70, rare drop)
- Nanochu (Valfodr Lv. 70, common drop)
- Silver Chocobo (Valfodr Lv. 15, common drop)
- Cactuarama (Valfodr Lv. 45, common drop)
- Golden Chocobo (Valfodr Lv. 15, rare drop)
- Twilight Odin (Valfodr Lv. 99, rare drop)
The following characters were added in The War of the Lions: