In Final Fantasy VIII party members will pose at the start of battle, and at the end upon victory. Victory poses had been a series tradition, but intro poses are new to Final Fantasy VIII, and the only game that uses them in the main series. All party members perform them, guests included.
Pre-battle poses begin before an enemy is engaged during an encounter, and the animation features the characters readying their weapons, leading into their main battle stance.
- Squall stands with his gunblade resting on his shoulder before slashing the air.
- Zell stretches his legs while standing before pumping his fists followed by two quick punches.
- Quistis swings her whip before whipping the ground.
- Rinoa stares at the enemy with her arm on her hip before stroking her hair to the side.
- Selphie hops with her nunchaku behind her, before swinging it in front of her.
- Irvine slowly points his gun towards his enemy before bringing it back in his hands.
- Seifer holds his Hyperion upwards in front of his face before slowly lowering it into his battle stance.
- Edea's arms are crossed onto her chest before opening them up. A distinct sound can be heard before she opens her arms out.
- Laguna quickly aims his machine gun at his enemy before holding it upwards.
- Kiros is crouched on his knee before looking at his enemy and jumping up, ready for battle.
- Ward rests his harpoon on his shoulder, twists his neck, then thrusts it into the ground.
- Squall will slash the air twice, then turn his back on the camera with his gunblade resting on his shoulder.
- Zell pumps his fists in the air a few times.
- Quistis stretches out her arms with her whip.
- Rinoa jumps up with her hands in the air a few times, then twists backward while flipping her hair.
- Selphie jumps up in the air and proceeds to swing her weapon, striking a cutesy pose at the end, shaking a hip.
- Irvine twirls his gun and lays it on his shoulder, fixes his hat, and then points.
- Seifer swings his gunblade several times, then holds it with both hands and lowers it in front of his face, identical to how he often poses outside of battle.
- Edea raises out her arms, then closes her hands together and bows.
- Laguna clenches his fists, punches the air and raises his machine gun.
- Kiros crosses his arms, with his katar held in front of his shoulders and bows.
- Ward rotates his harpoon over his head and rests it across his back.
- In Kingdom Hearts, whenever Sora wins a battle in the Coliseum, he will perform either Squall's, Cloud's or Zell's victory pose. In Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, Sora will perform Cloud's victory pose, while Riku will perform Squall's.