Lindblum (リンドブルム, Rindoburumu?) is a regency located on the southernmost part of the Mist Continent in Final Fantasy IX. It shares a border with both Alexandria and Burmecia. It is the largest city in the game and is divided into four areas: the Business District, the Industrial District, the Theater District, and the Grand Castle. People transport from district to district via the Air Cabs. The regency itself is protected by the Lindblum Airfleet and lives under the rule of Regent Cid Fabool IX.
Lindblum is the largest community in Gaia as well as the most technologically advanced. Recently, ground-breaking technological discoveries in steam power have allowed Lindblum's engineers to forge Mist-free transportation vehicles, such as Air Cabs, and even steam-fueled airships.
Zidane and his group arrive at Lindblum after narrowly escaping from Alexandria. Thanks to Garnet's relations with the Lindblum royalty, they are welcomed inside the castle where they learn Regent Cid has transformed into an Oglop.
Zidane heads back into town while Vivi and Steiner explore the city districts. Wandering into a bar, Zidane reunites with Freya Crescent, an old friend he hasn't seen in three years. Later, Zidane returns to the castle to check up on Garnet, who is becoming depressed over her inability to act upon the rising problems facing the kingdoms of Alexandria and Lindblum.
In an effort to cheer her up, Zidane promises her a date if he wins the Festival of the Hunt. The festival's award ceremony is interrupted as a messenger arrives from Burmecia, informing the Regent that the country is under attack from a black mage army. The messenger dies soon after, succumbing to his wounds.
Immediately setting out to assist the Burmecians, Freya, along with Zidane and Vivi, travel by foot through the Dragon's Gate to Gizamaluke's Grotto. Garnet, without the blessing of her teammates or uncle, but nonetheless with Steiner following behind, returns to Alexandria to talk her mother out of attacking the other countries.
Both groups fail in their quests, and after the destruction of both Burmecia and Cleyra, Queen Brahne turns her sights on Lindblum Castle, hammering it with a barrage from her seafaring fleet hidden beneath the Mist. She teleports armies of black mages into the city before finally ending the battle with summoning Atomos's vortex winds to rip the castle apart. Not long after, having witnessed the attack, Zidane, Garnet, and Vivi return to the stricken city to regroup and plan their counter attack. They devise a plan to defeat Kuja, Brahne's weapon supplier, in the Outer Continent.
Near the end of the game Lindblum's airfleet joins the Second Battle of the Iifa Tree, led by Regent Cid.
Lindblum is situated atop a mountain peak far above the Mist-covered plains. Fortified from every side by the castle's grand walls and towers, the city is currently, due to the Mist, only safely accessible via airship through the Falcon's Gate. The city is divided into four districts.
Moving from one district to another requires the service of an air taxi.
- Theater District
Overlooking the Falcon's Gate from a lofty height, the Theater District is home to Lindblum's famous theater. This has been the venue for many famous plays, including Moogle Wannabe 2 starring Lowell Bridges. It is also where the Aspiring Artist Michael's workshop is located. The Theater District is the home of Tantalus Theater Troupe, Baku's band of thieves. Time is marked by a bell that sounds at the end of each play performed in the theater.
- Industrial District
The Industrial District is where the engineers work and live. Upon exiting the Air Cab station, a giant statue of Cid Fabool VIII can be viewed, built to honor the father of Cid IX. One of the most exciting projects going on in the Industrial District is the development of the steam engine, which works without the use of Mist. The Doom Pub, run by the barkeeper Bobo, is where Zidane reunites with his old friend, the Burmecian Dragoon; Freya Crescent. The district is destroyed during the Siege of Lindblum.
- Business District
The Business District is one of the largest commercial areas in Gaia. Among its many shops is the synthesis shop. The vast array of shops include Alice's Item Shop, a weapon shop, Polom's Action Figures, Pepe's Milk Shop, Ivan's Fish Stack, Milla's Oil Shop and Grandma Pickle's corner stand, which sells Gysahl Pickles, a Lindblum delicacy.
Along with shops, it is also home to Lindblum's inn, which holds a Bobo Bird Statue that has been handed down from generation to generation between innkeepers. At the inn visitors can read comments left by previous patrons. If the player inspects the book on Disc 3 or 4, they can prompt Zidane to leave a comment as well.
The Lindblum Grand CastleEdit
- Main article: Lindblum Castle
Regarded as the fourth district, Lindblum Grand Castle is an impressive structure with walls surrounding the entire city. It is home to Regent Cid, the ruler of Lindblum. It has a large airship dock, which houses the Lindblum air force. The castle is located in central Lindblum and consists of three levels.
Location: Among rubble at back of Business District (disc 2-4)
Win from Adventurer (Daguerreo Left Hall; disc 3-4)
Win from Black Mage No.33 (Black Mage Village Watermill; disc 4)
Win from Strong Phantom (Memoria Lost Memory; disc 4)
Note: For the Theater Ship card, Coral Ring, and 5000 Gil, only one can be obtained, depending on who wins the Festival of the Hunt. For the card, Vivi must win, Freya for the Coral Ring, and Zidane for the 5000 gil.
- See also: Mognet (Final Fantasy IX)
When the party first meets Moodon in the Inn at Lindblum, he has a letter for Zidane:
|Opening a Mini-Theater|
From Ruby to Zidane
Ain't y'all comin' back to Alexandria?
Just kiddin'. I'm openin' a li'l
(A bartender pal o' mine is
When the party first meets Moonte at Lindblum, Dragon's Gate, he has received a letter:
|Shelter From the Rain|
From Stiltzkin to Moonte
I left Lindblum and headed north.
It's raining, as expected.
When the party meets Serino on the Red Rose, she has a letter for Moodon at the Lindblum Inn.
|Eidolon Odin's Power|
From Serino to Moodon
I rode on an airship called the Red Rose,
The eidolon Odin's power is terrifying.
There's not even a trace of the city now...
Moodon also has a letter for Zidane:
|Narcissus From Lindblum|
From Ruby to Zidane
Oh, I'm havin' a terrible time finding
What was his name? That narcissist
The letter the party delivers from Moodon to Monte at the Dragon's Gate entrance to Lindblum:
From Moodon to Monte
Oh, it's terrible! Kupo!
Did the Alexandrian Soldiers kidnap him?
I'm so worried!!!
After the party returns from the Outer Continent Mogki from the Lindblum Castle has a letter to Moodon:
From Mogki to Moodon
Alexandria is in a horrible state right now...
Let me know when you have more info!
Autograph and Moogle SuitEdit
During the first visit to Lindblum, Zidane can go to the Theater District to find Lowell, surrounded by his fans. He leaves, a man in a moogle costume appears, and then exits the area. Zidane can follow him to the artist's house, get an Autograph from Lowell, and find another key item, Moogle Suit, inside the house. These items serve no purpose other than raising the Treasure Hunter Rank.
Festival of the HuntEdit
- Main article: Festival of the Hunt
The player must defeat enemies within a time limit to amass points. Depending on who wins the hunt a different reward is given.
Finding potions for CidEdit
On disc 3 after the party has arrived in Lindblum after Kuja's attack on Alexandria and after Garnet has lost her voice, Cid wishes to find a way to turn back into human. The party plans to make a potion for him, but must find the ingredients from the citizens of Lindblum.
- The "Beautiful Potion" is held by Alice outside the weapon shop in the Business District.
- The "Strange Potion" is in Artist Michael's studio, found in the left corner of house.
- The "Unusual Potion" is received from Cinna at Tantalus's hideout at Theater District.
After returning to the castle Zidane will give Cid the newly-mixed potion, but the potion fails to turn him into a human, turning him into a frog instead.
Lost family sidequestEdit
During disc 4, a new sidequest becomes accessible where Zidane must repeatedly visit the Tantalus hideout in Lindblum's Theater District and talk to the various Nero family members. Starting with Benero and Zenero, a member of the Nero family will appear, saying the others are missing, then go and look for them. Each time Zidane returns to the hideout after a major event or battle in Memoria, a new member will be there, saying all the previous members are missing. This can be done repeatedly until Deathguise is defeated—the last major event that will trigger a new scene at the hideout.
After the scene with Penera, the final Nero family member, Zidane will comment on the huge family, and a treasure chest will appear inside the hideout with a Protect Ring inside.
The sidequest can be moved forward with every major event and battle in Memoria, and there are more Memoria events than necessary to perform the entire quest. This means the player can still complete the quest even if they do not go back to the hideout after every event. If the player completes the sidequest and continues to trigger more events in Memoria, the sidequest will seemingly start over again, but it cannot be completed again since there are not enough events to do so. Whether this was intended or a glitch is unknown.
The Nero family members as they appear are:
- Benero and Zenero > Genero > Denero > Penero > Benera > Zenera > Genera > Denera > Penera
The events in Memoria that move the sidequest forward are:
- The beginning of disc 4.
- The battle with Nova Dragon.
- The battle with Maliris.
- The flashback of Alexander.
- The scene where Zidane talks to himself.
- The flashback of Dagger on the boat.
- The scene with the giant eye in the sky.
- The battle with Tiamat.
- The scene with the two planets colliding.
- The scene where Quina thinks s/he is drowning.
- The scene where Garland talks about memories.
- The battle with Kraken.
- The scene about Gaia's birth.
- The battle with Lich.
- The scene where Garland talks about the beginning and the Crystal.
- The scene where the party enters the Crystal World.
- The battle with Deathguise.
Torres' Synthesis Shop (Disc 1)Edit
Torres' Synthesis Shop (Disc 2)Edit
Wayne's Synthesis Shop (Disc 3/4)Edit
|The Ogre||700||Mage Masher x2|
|Exploda||1000||Mage Masher, Mythril Dagger|
|Rune Tooth||2000||Mythril Dagger x2|
|Angel Bless||9000||Mythril Dagger, Gladius|
|Cotton Robe||1000||Wrist, Steepled Hat|
|Silk Robe||2000||Silk Shirt, Bandana|
|Desert Boots||300||Leather Hat, Leather Shirt|
|Yellow Scarf||400||Feather Hat, Steepled Hat|
|Glass Buckle||500||Glass Armlet, Leather Wrist|
|Germinas Boots||900||Desert Boots, Fork|
|Cachusha||1000||Magus Hat, Rubber Helm|
|Coral Ring||1200||Lightning Staff, Rod|
|Gold Choker||1300||Linen Cuirass, Soft|
|Magician Shoes||1500||Germinas Boots, Bone Wrist|
|Barette||1800||Needle Fork, Barbut|
|Power Belt||2000||Glass Buckle, Chain Mail|
|Madain's Ring||3000||Bone Wrist, Stardust Rod|
|Fairy Earrings||3200||Magic Armlet, Soft|
|Extension||3500||Lamia's Tiara, Multina Racket|
|Reflect Ring||7000||Anklet, Madain's Ring|
|Anklet||4000||Gold Choker, Peridot|
|Feather Boots||4000||Magician Shoes, Phoenix Pinion|
|Black Belt||4000||Twist Headband, Survival Vest|
|Pearl Rouge||5000||Moonstone, Elixir|
Alice's Item ShopEdit
Creation and developmentEdit
In 1999, Squaresoft subcontracted a French company, Ex Machina, to create three FMVs including Lindblum. In turn, the company asked a sculptor, Charles-Éric Gogny, to create a model of Lindblum which the company would use in creating the FMVs which would serve as the basis for the 3D work in Maya and compositing work in Adobe AfterEffect and Avid Media Illusion.
|Trouble with the audio sample?|
The theme that plays in Lindblum is called "Lindblum".
One of the original servers was named Lindblum. It was merged with the Saronia server into the Sargatanas server.
Lindblum is present as a room for preset characters of the game's Multiplayer Mode Online Lobby.
- A man near the air cab station will say, "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a miracle worker!", a quote from Star Trek, when asked about the location of the potions for Cid.
- Lindblum soldiers wield a pole-arm with a hammer-like head, perhaps fitting for a city built on industry.
- On the map in the opening video, and on the sign in the bottom left of the Rest Stop screen in Summit Station, and on the maps dotted around South Gate stations, the city is spelled as "Lindbulm". These graphics also appear in the original Japanese version of the game, and the Final Fantasy IX Ultimania uses the term "Lindbulm", so it is likely this is the Japanese English name for the region and the graphics were not updated for the English version.
- Given that these mistakes appear out of dialogue and instead on maps and pre-rendered backgrounds, it could also mean that the dialogue "Lindblum" is instead a mistake.
- Just outside the transport station in the Industrial District, there is a statue of Cid VIII, who built the first Mist-powered airship in 1762. Nine years later, he led a battle. Nine years after that, he died. It is engraved by Cid IX. The number nine is a recurring theme of this particular Final Fantasy title.
- In Final Fantasy XIII, Cid Raines is the commander of an enormous airship named the Lindblum, referencing Cid Fabool IX and the city of Lindblum.
- If the player looks closely enough, when in the Business District after the Siege of Lindblum, an out-of-place chocobo can be seen partially hovering above the ground, serving no actual purpose. It can be seen in the distance on the right hand side of the split junction area. Heading to the next camera angle (the fountain) will cause the chocobo to disappear. The chocobo is not actually a model, but instead a layer of the background. It is not known whether this was intentional or something left in the game and forgotten about prior to its release.