Fandom

Final Fantasy Wiki

Lich (Final Fantasy)

20,635 pages on
this wiki
Add New Page
Talk7 Share

Ad blocker interference detected!


Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.

I

Final Fantasy Boss
LICH
リッチ (Ritchi)
Lich-ff1-nes
Statistics
HP Attack
400 40 - 80
Defense Magic Defense
40 120
Evasion Accuracy
24 49
EXP Gil
2,200 3,000
Elemental Affinities
Fire Bolt Ice Dia
Weak - Resist Weak
Location Terra Cavern
Abilities ICE2, SLP2, FAST, LIT2, HOLD, FIR2, SLOW, SLEP
Resistant to STUN, POIS, Instant Death, PETR, SLEP, DARK
Lich
リッチ (Ritchi)
Lich-ff1-ps
#048#049 #050
Statistics
HP Attack
800 40
Defense Magic Defense
40 120
EXP Gil
2,200 3,000
Elemental Affinities
Fire Bolt Ice Dia
Weak - Resist Weak
Location Terra Cavern
Abilities Ice2, Sleep2, Haste, Bolt2, Stun, Fire2, Slow1, Sleep1
Resistant to Stun, Poison, Instant Death, Petrify, Sleep, Blind
Lich
リッチ (Ritchi)
Lich-ff1-gba
#048#049 #050
Statistics
HP Attack Intelligence
1,200 40 30
Defense Magic Defense
40 120
Agility Accuracy Evasion
12 49 24
EXP Gil
2,200 3,000
Elemental Affinities
Fire Lightning Ice Dia
Weak - Resist Weak
Location Cavern of Earth
Item Dropped Dry Ether
Abilities Blizzara, Sleepra, Haste, Thundara, Hold, Fira, Slow, Sleep
Resistant to Blizzard, Stun, Poison, Instant Death, Petrify, Sleep, Blind, Silence, Confuse, Mind
Lich
リッチ (Ritchi)
Lich psp
#048#049 #050
Statistics
HP Attack Intelligence
1,200 40 30
Defense Magic Defense
40 120
Agility Accuracy Evasion
12 49 24
EXP Gil
2,200 3,000
Elemental Affinities
Fire Lightning Ice Dia
Weak - Resist Weak
Location Cavern of Earth
Item Dropped Dry Ether
Abilities Blizzara, Sleepra, Haste, Thundara, Hold, Fira, Slow, Sleep
Resistant to Blizzard, Stun, Poison, Instant Death, Petrify, Sleep, Blind, Silence, Confuse, Mind
Lich
リッチ (Ritchi)
Lich-ff1-nes
Statistics
HP Attack
500 50
Defense Magic Defense
80 140
Evasion Accuracy
24 64
EXP Gil
2,000 1
Elemental Affinities
Fire Bolt Ice Dia
Weak - Resist Weak
Location Temple of Fiends
Abilities NUKE, STOP, ZAP!, XXXX
Resistant to STUN, POIS, Instant Death, PETR, SLEP, DARK, CONF
Lich
リッチ (Ritchi)
Lich-ff1-ps
#123#124 #125
Statistics
HP Attack
1,000 50
Defense Magic Defense
80 140
EXP Gil
2,000 1
Elemental Affinities
Fire Bolt Ice Dia
Weak - Resist Weak
Location Temple of Chaos
Abilities Flare, Stop, Banish, Doom
Resistant to Stun, Poison, Instant Death, Petrify, Sleep, Blind, Confusion
Lich
リッチ (Ritchi)
Lich-ff1-gba
#123#124 #125
Statistics
HP Attack Intelligence
2,800 50 34
Defense Magic Defense
80 140
Agility Accuracy Evasion
24 64 48
EXP Gil
2,000 1
Elemental Affinities
Fire Lightning Ice Dia
- - Resist Weak
Location Chaos Shrine (past)
Item Dropped None
Abilities Flare, Stop, Warp, Kill
Resistant to Paralysis, Poison, Death, Stone, Sleep, Darkness, Silence, Confuse, Mind
Lich
リッチ (Ritchi)
Lich psp
#123#124 #125
Statistics
HP Attack Intelligence
2,800 50 34
Defense Magic Defense
80 140
Agility Accuracy Evasion
24 64 48
EXP Gil
2,000 1
Elemental Affinities
Fire Lightning Ice Dia
- - Resist Weak
Location Chaos Shrine (past)
Item Dropped None
Abilities Flare, Stop, Warp, Kill
Resistant to Paralysis, Poison, Death, Stone, Sleep, Darkness, Silence, Confuse, Mind
The Fiend of Earth, who drains and decays the soil itself.
—Description

Lich (リッチ, Ritchi?) is the Fiend of Earth from the original Final Fantasy. He appears at the bottom of the Cavern of Earth. He is undead with the appearance of a skeleton.

Story Edit

As the Earth-elemental fiend, he drains the power of the Earth Crystal, rotting the soil in Melmond. Lich was the third fiend to awaken, doing so shortly before the Warriors of Light set out on their quest. When the Warriors arrive at Melmond they find the earth rotting and people dying. They learn a vampire is blamed and travel into the nearby Cavern of Earth to defeat it, but upon returning to the town they see the earth is still decaying.

Using the Star Ruby found in the cavern to gain passage through the Giant's Cave, they travel to the Sage's Cave where they are told by Sadda that the vampire was only working for a greater force: Lich. The Warriors return to the Cavern of Earth where they find the Earth Crystal. After confronting Lich, the party prevails. The Earth Crystal shines again, and the land rots no more.

Later, the Warriors fight a younger version of the Lich in the Chaos Shrine 2000 years in the past. They defeat him once more, preventing him from journeying to the future and causing the earth to rot in the first place.

Battle Edit

First battle Edit

FFI Lich's Location

Lich's location

Lich has a 75% chance to cast a spell and 25% chance to attack each round. Lich's physical blows have a chance to paralyze whoever it hits. His spell cycle is as follows:

BlizzaraSleepraHasteThundaraHoldFiraSlowSleep

Lich is the hardest boss faced at that point in the game. As an undead enemy, he is weak to Dia and Fire. Lich is a proficient user of elemental spells and can complement his physical prowess with Haste.

Strategy Edit

Utilizing Fira, Red Fangs or Firaga if available would prove effective. Mere physical attacks will not be very effective; if one uses physical attacks, they should be augmented with Haste and/or Temper.

It is recommended that the party use a White Curtain, Blue Curtain and Red Curtain, or alternatively the spells NulFrost, NulShock and NulBlaze to halve the damage caused by Lich's elemental spells. The party should increase evasion with Invis or Blink to avoid his powerful physical blows and decrease the chance of getting paralyzed.

In the NES version, a lucky pair of shots with FIR3 and DIA3 can, potentially, kill Lich in one round (as the spells do extra damage to undead and both have high-end damage at or over 200, while Lich only has 400 HP) or at least leave him in a state where one more round of spells will assuredly kill him. This tactic is less advisable in later versions, as Lich's HP has been doubled (or more).

Second battle Edit

When the Warriors of Light travel through time they must fight the Lich of the past. The "Lich Room" in Chaos Shrine contains many of the monsters from the Cavern of Earth and the stairway to the next floor is guarded by the past Lich, a fixed encounter which can be triggered many times by walking through the same spots.

His spell cycle has been altered to use only level 8 black magic:

FlareStopWarpKill

All of his stats are improved and he loses his weakness to fire.

Strategy Edit

Everyone should resist Time and Death elements. Physical attacks can prove to be a help against Lich, by augmenting them with Haste, Temper and Saber. For attacking with magic, White Mages/Wizards should cast Diaga or Diaja, while Black Mages/Wizards should use Thundaga or Flare. For versions earlier than Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls, players may wish to hold off on attack magic to conserve their spell charges, as Lich is only the first of several upcoming boss fights and there is no way to replenish charges while inside the dungeon.

Other appearances Edit

Pictlogica Final Fantasy Edit

PFF

PFF Lich FFI
Baknamy FFTA2This article or section is a stub about an enemy in Pictlogica Final Fantasy. You can help the Final Fantasy Wiki by expanding it.


Gallery Edit

Etymology Edit

In fantasy fiction, a lich is a type of undead creature. Often such a creature is the result of a transformation, as a powerful magician or king striving for eternal life uses spells or rituals to bind his intellect to his animated corpse and thereby achieve a form of immortality.

Trivia Edit

  • Lich is the only Chaos Fiend who does not talk to the party before fighting them. The same occurs when it reappears in Final Fantasy IV: The After Years. In the remakes the Lich does talk to the party.
  • The Lich makes a major appearance in the Final Fantasy parody webcomic 8-Bit Theater, where he is one of the Four Fiends, and guards the Earth Orb from the Light Warriors.
  • Due to a bug in the PSP version, if the game crashes while in the Lich fight, more Liches may spawn. This may also happen if Final Fantasy is closed during the Lich fight. This can cause problems with leaving the cave.
  • In the NES version, Lich's name is an all capitals when fighting it in the Cavern of Earth, strangely, however, its name is normal when fighting it in the past Chaos Shrine.

Related enemies Edit

Also on Fandom

Random Wiki