The Knights of Pluto (プルート隊, Purūto-tai?, lit. "Pluto Squad") is a humorously inept group of nine knights led by Adelbert Steiner in Final Fantasy IX stationed at Alexandria Castle. They were originally charged with the protection of Queen Brahne and Princess Garnet, but they were discharged when Steiner left with Zidane's group. They were quickly replaced by General Beatrix and her soldiers, Squad Beatrix.
- Captain Adelbert Steiner
- Blutzen, Pluto Knight II (ブルツェン, Burutsen?) – The first super sleuth, was ambushed by Blank and Zidane, and his armor was stolen (worn by Zidane).
- Kohel, Pluto Knight III (コッヘル, Kohheru?) – The second super sleuth, was ambushed by Blank and Zidane, and his armor was stolen (worn by Blank).
- Laudo, Pluto Knight IV (ラウダ, Rauda?) – The Writer, found in the library.
- Dojebon, Pluto Knight V (トジェボン, Tojebon?) – The Artilleryman, a bit of a klutz, he runs straight into Steiner at one point.
- Breireicht, Pluto Knight VI (バイロイト, Bairoito?) – The knight who is exercising in the left tower, he knows all the knights and what they do best.
- Weimar, Pluto Knight VII (ワイマール, Waimāru?) – The knight who knows the names of all the girls in town. He also appears as a boss with Haagen and Steiner.
- Haagen, Pluto Knight VIII (ハーゲン, Hāgen?) – The Navigator, found dipping his feet in the canal in the courtyard. He also appears as a boss with Weimar and Steiner.
- Mullenkedheim, Pluto Knight IX (メルゲントハイム, Merugentohaimu?) – The Cannonball expert, found hungry in the banquet hall.
- Unnamed Pluto Knight (Blank) - Found near the right-hand gate.
Rallying The KnightsEdit
Early in the game, during the performance of "I Want to Be Your Canary", the player has the option to find all the Knights of Pluto in the locations listed above. Locating them all and reporting to Breireicht in the left tower will earn an Elixir.
Defense of AlexandriaEdit
- Main article: Defense of Alexandria
When Bahamut attacks Alexandria on Disc 3, Garnet gives orders to the Knights of Pluto. Their past ineptitude has completely vanished, replaced by the passion they have to defend their home. The knights' personalities will be a key factor in the completion of the tasks they are assigned.
- Weimar and Haagen are more suited for the Protect the Townspeople task.
- Breireicht and Laudo should be the ones for the Contact Lindblum task.
- Blutzen and Kohel are the simple choices for the Gather Information task.
- Dojebon and Mullenkedheim have the skills needed for the Fire the Cannons task.
If the player assigns all the jobs correctly, they will receive Angel Earrings. Otherwise, the reward is an Ether, Hi-Potion, or Elixir.
The Knights of Pluto bear other names in the German version, most of them resembling cities:
- Breireicht - Bayreuth
- Haagen - Hagen
- Kohel - Kochel
- Laudo - Lauda
- Mullenkedheim - Märchenheim
- Dojebon - Shanel
- Blutzen - Marktwart
- Weimar - Weimar
- There are nine members of the Knights of Pluto from the fact that Pluto (at the time of the game's release) was the ninth planet from the Sun until demoted to a dwarf planet.
- Blutzen is seen undressed with darker skin and a blond mohawk; however, when he in his knight uniform, his skin is paler, and his hair, although mostly unseen, is a brown bowl cut.
- "Knights of Pluto" is a quiz answer on an Academia quiz terminal in Final Fantasy XIII-2.