I am Kirin, master of the Shijin. The one who stands above all.
You, who have risen above your mortal status to contend with the gods... It is time to reap your reward.
Kirin appears as a High Notorious Monster in Final Fantasy XI: Rise of the Zilart, found deep within the Shrine of Ru'Avitau. It is the master of the Shijin and the final NM within the Tu'Lia NM System. In order to battle Kirin, players must first obtain proof of defeating the four Shijin, that being the Seal of Byakko, Seal of Genbu, Seal of Suzaku and Seal of Seiryu. Only by trading the 4 seals to its pop spot will Kirin be spawned.
Kirin is an Earth-based manticore, unlike most manticores in the game which are affiliated to Wind. Kirin can perform manticore special attacks and is able to cast powerful Earth-based magic, such as Stonega IV, which is unavailable to players. It summons weaker versions of the four Shijin during battle to assist it. Kirin is also able to perform Astral Flow, where a random avatar (out of Carbuncle, Ifrit, Titan, Leviathan, Garuda, Shiva, or Ramuh) is summoned to unleash a devastating Astral Flow Blood Pact.
Weaker versions of the Shijin are summoned to assist it in battle. One random Shijin is summoned every 3 minutes until all 4 have been called forth.
Qilin, which is a mythical hooved Chinese chimerical creature known throughout various East Asian cultures, and is said to appear with the imminent arrival or passing of a wise sage or an illustrious ruler.Kirin is the Japanese and Korean name for the
- The battle with Kirin, along with the entire Tu'Lia NM System, was released in the December 16, 2003 Version Update. The level cap then was 75.
- Kirin was once considered the most powerful NM in Final Fantasy XI because of its powerful attacks and ability to summon other NMs which were formidable in their own right back when it was released.
- When the fight with Kirin was first released, the only viable strategy to defeat it required kiting the NM as it was impossible to tank even for a short while. Back then, the time taken to defeat Kirin would be between an hour or two. Improvements in job abilities and gear gradually shortened the amount of time taken over the years.
- With the development of "zerg" strategies beginning from 2006-2007, Kirin can now be brought down in less than a minute.
- For a long time, reaching the location of the battle with Kirin was as arduous as the battle with Kirin itself, because the teleporter to that location would alternate between 2 destinations every minute (Vana'diel time), meaning that players who were unlucky could easily spend up to an hour just trying to reach the room that Kirin is fought in. However, this was changed to just 1 destination in the May 10, 2011 update.