The Kingdom of Concordia (コンコルディア王国, Konkorudia Ōkoku?) is a nation that holds the Azure Dragon Crystal in Final Fantasy Type-0, with its capital being Mahamayuri. The Concordian people use the Crystal to communicate with dragons and monsters, and use them for daily life and to strengthen their military. The residents of Concordia are shorter than those of other nations in Orience, never growing beyond 5 feet tall.
Top posts in the Concordia government, save for the King of Concordia, are held by women; Andoria serves as the queen and is the only one who can communicate with the Queen Dragon, the physical representation of the Crystal. There are five Orders of elite knights who protect the Azure Peristylium. One of them is known as the Akatoki, under Celestia, with Yuzuki among its members.
- Queen Andoria - Kingdom of Concordia
Home to the Azure Dragon Crystal, the Kingdom of Concordia is a matriarchal nation. From the queen herself down to the lowest-ranking bureaucrats, all important government positions are filled by women. Queen Andoria rules over the land, guarding the Azure Peristylium and sharing the Will of its Crystal with her people.
It is that selfsame Crystal which grants Concordians the ability to communicate with wyverns and other creatures. This power serves the populace well in their daily lives, and military applications of the Azure Dragon's blessing have provided the kingdom with enough power to hold its own against the other three Crystal-States. Given that the Concordians never grow taller than a few feet, they prefer commanding monsters to fight on their behalf. When they are forced to join the fray, however, the kingdom's dracoknights make use of their innate speed to run circles around their enemies, then pierce their foes with long spears.
The territory of Sōryū (蒼竜) was originally known as Seiryū (青龍). According to legend, the male progenitors of the Seiryū people had consumed the flesh of dragons which resulted with their male descendants cursed by eventually becoming monsters known as "Seiryūjin". The female descendants, who were unaffected by the curse, took over the country in the year 252 under the name Sōryū and made Concordia into a matriarchy.
As the Militesi Empire first annihilates the Lorican Alliance and then turns its focus on the Dominion of Rubrum, Queen Andoria travels to the imperial capital of Ingram and invokes the Fabula Pact, a peace agreement made between the four peristylia of Orience that grants a short-lived ceasefire before she is assassinated.
The King of Concordia, whose title is more of a figurehead, schemed to overthrow the land's actual ruler Queen Andoria and restore the Seiryū to power. When Andoria is assassinated, the King of Concordia assumes control of the nation and forms an alliance with the Militesi Empire to retaliate against the Dominion of Rubrum for their supposed role in Andoria's death. However, the King of Concordia is frustrated to learn that the Queen Dragon, being a l'Cie, obeyed only Andoria and will listen to no one now that she is dead. Furthermore, the King of Concordia rashly orders the unsealing of the Naraku cave to destroy the Suzaku troops, despite how the monsters released may endanger his own forces as well.
When Rubrum defeats the combined Militesi and Concordian forces, the King of Concordia goes into hiding and is caught by Class Zero. The elite knight Yuzuki, who had accompanied the king, reveals the extent of the King of Concordia's plans and the origins of the Seiryūjin before summoning one to eliminate the king once and for all. She presumably meets her demise afterward when she seals Naraku to contain the Seiryūjin within.
Concordians revere dragons as the manifestations of the Azure Dragon Crystal. Though most of Orience speaks one language, Concordians command wyverns in Soryusian. While the common language of Orience boasts a superior vocabulary and ease of expression, Soryusian is an intentionally simple language. By limiting the number of phrases, dragoniers and other Concordians can communicate orders to dragons with little room for misunderstandings.
The nations of Orience are based on the Four Symbols.
Four Symbols (Chinese: 四象; pinyin: Sì Xiàng) are four mythological creatures in the Chinese constellations. They are the Azure Dragon, (Qing Long) of the East, the Vermilion Bird (Zhu Que) of the South, the White Tiger (Bai Hu) of the West, and the Black Turtle (Xuan Wu) of the North. While originating from China, the Four Symbols are also widely known in Korea, Japan and Vietnam. Each region have distinct names for the symbols. In Japan, the Shijin, as they are collectively known, are called Seiryū, Suzaku, Byakko and Genbu respectively.The
- The country's attributes and qualities, as well as symbolism to one of the animals of the Four Symbols is evident in its themes.
- Representing the east, Concordia is located far off on a secluded peninsula eastward from Orience's greater lands. Symbolically, the dragon has connotations with representing the eastern world, with the tiger representing the western world in Asian cultures.
- Representing the season of Spring, the nation is consistently vibrant and lush, with a gentle oceanic climate.
- Representing the Wu Xing element of Wood, the Azure Dragon Crystal bestows upon its users the Power of the Dragon, allowing them to communicate with beasts, and by extension, nature itself.
- Its animal the dragon, Concordia reveres them highly, with the Queen Dragon being the physical manifestation of the Azure Dragon Crystal itself, and the beast finds itself in the highest ranks of the military in the nation. In some mythologies, dragons have shown to have the ability to communicate with sentience and language, and even interact directly into the affairs of mankind. In real life, Asian nations also bear the dragon in their heralds and arms, being representative of auspicious and great qualities, and heavenly providence.
- Its crystal is close in shape to that of an orb. Crystal balls were often the choice cut shape for precious jewels and stones in Asian nations, as dragons in Asian mythology bared them in their claws and are representative of their closeness to creative powers and universal perfection.
- The creation of Concordia's majestic palace was actually the Focus of Shirotae, a Concordian l'Cie.
- In Pandaemonium, the symbol for the Kingdom of Concordia is different, being two serpents chasing each other's tails. This is a different interpretation of the Ouroboros symbol, representing cyclicality, however, the representation of two serpents could allude to both Dr. Arecia and Gala attempting to break the cycle in their own different way.