The Gold Chocobo Bug is a bug in Final Fantasy IX that affects the game's early Japanese and North American versions. It is unclear exactly when the bug has been fixed, but in every later release, the bug can no longer be performed because it is made impossible to find the required Chocographs too early.
To trigger the bug, the player must obtain the Gold Chocobo just after getting the Blue Narciss, but before getting Hilda Garde III, and going to either Chocobo's Paradise or Chocobo's Air Garden. This bug allows the player to skip a good part of disc 3 from when searching for the Desert Palace, all the way past the events at Oeilvert and Mount Gulug, to right before Ipsen's Castle. However, the downsides to this bug are:
- Dagger is permanently stuck in her "Mute" condition (no Trance, commands fail on a regular basis)
- The player will have to buy a Ribbon at the Treno Auction House in order to have Eiko learn the Madeen summon, as Mount Gulug will be skipped.
- Ozma will have to be beaten to get a second Pumice Piece to have Dagger learn the Ark summon (since the one in Oeilvert is unattainable).
- Items from the Desert Palace cannot be recovered.
There are upsides as well, being:
- Completely skip boss battles such as Ark and Valia Pira.
- Saved time for those who have already played the game, or those trying to obtain Excalibur II.
- Automatic access of Hilda Garde III.
- The Gold Chocobo
There is no way to reverse the effects of this bug unless one has access to a Gameshark or a hex editing device as well.