You truly are a fool! What is the life of one girl, when weighed against the greater good?
Goffard Gaffgarion, also known as Gaff Gafgarion, is a mercenary from Final Fantasy Tactics hired by Dycedarg Beoulve and Cardinal Delacroix. He is a Fell Knight, possessing two powerful sword skills.
Gaffgarion is a middle-aged man donning a suit of tightly-pacted armor, obscuring all parts of his body except for the face, exposing his white moustache. He wears leather boots, and his armor has a patch of white fur around the shoulder area.
As a false executioner he sports identical attire, only with a hooded robe cloaking most of his body.
Gaffgarion is the definition of a mercenary: willing to commit to any act, save the price be high enough. He served the Order of the Eastern Sky during the Fifty Years' War, but was discharged due to the barbaric methods he employed. Brash and ruthless, he won't hesitate to slaughter those who oppose him. He does show a degree of mercy, as he presents Ramza an opportunity to join him and Dycedarg during their second encounter.
Gaffgarion is allied with the Order of the Northern Sky, and explains to Ramza how he believes in Dycedarg's ideals, and that he is ultimately fighting for the greater good. It is unknown if he legitimately believes that, or if he is merely acting on accordance to what the Order paid him for.
Perhaps bowed heads would take less offense.
Gaffgarion was a Division commander of the Order of the Eastern Sky but was expelled for the barbarism he employed to ensure victory at the end of the Fifty Years' War.
Gaffgarion is hired by Dycedarg Beoulve to discard Princess Ovelia, who is in the way of Duke Larg's ascension to Regent of Ivalice in the name of Prince Orinus, whom he plans to have coronated. Gaffgarion accepts a mission from Agrias Oaks, the princess's bodyguard, to protect Ovelia to get close enough to do his job. He travels to Orbonne Monastery with his team, including Ramza Beoulve, Dycedarg's younger brother who knows nothing of the plot. The monastery is attacked by several Order of the Northern Sky knights dressed as Order of the Southern Sky knights, and following the plan, Gaffgarion stages a counterattack on them. During the attack Delita Heiral slips in a back door and kidnaps the princess.
Gaffgarion and Agrias lead a pursuit team after Delita but are attacked by a group of mercenaries hired by Folmarv Tengille. With the combined swordsmanship skills of Agrias and Gaffgarion the team wins and catches up to Delita at Zeirchele Falls, where he has encountered a group of Northern Sky knights. Gaffgarion reveals his true mission and attempts to kill Ovelia, but Delita is fighting on the side of the Southern Sky and takes action to protect her. Ramza remains loyal to Ovelia and Agrias, and counterattacks Gaffgarion, forcing him to retreat as Delita dispatches the Northern Sky.
Dycedarg is unwilling to give up. He has secretly entered into an agreement with Cardinal Delacroix to get Ovelia, and sends Gaffgarion to help Delacroix. At Delacroix's stronghold of Lionel Castle, Gaffgarion discovers Ovelia has been captured, but that Delacroix wants a Zodiac Stone that has fallen into Ramza's possession. After fellow accomplice Ludovich Baert fails to retrieve it, Delacroix kills him and arranges for Gaffgarion to create a trap: He will pretend to execute an Ovelia decoy to lure Ramza to Golgollada Gallows and several Lionel guards will join him in an ambush.
The plot is carried out and the trap is sprung, but despite being outnumbered, Ramza, Agrias, and Mustadio Bunansa, the original keeper of the Taurus Stone, fight back and defeat the Lionel guards. Gaffgarion retreats to Lionel to ready a second ambush. As Ramza's forces arrive he scales the wall to open the gate for his men. Gaffgarion appears and gives the signal: several Lionel guards, including a summoner, emerge from hiding to attack Ramza's men, while Gaffgarion challenges Ramza to a duel. Ramza prevails and kills Gaffgarion.
Gaffgarion is a Fell Knight and uses the Shadowblade and Duskblade techniques. Shadowblade attacks a unit with red flames and drains the unit's HP, giving the HP to Gaffgarion. Duskblade is similar to Shadowblade, but instead of draining HP it drains MP. When Gaffgarion joins as a temporary playable character at the start of chapter 2, he joins at level 10 with 61 Bravery, 67 Faith, and equipped with the Mythril Sword, Golden Shield, Close Helmet, Plate Mail, and Power Gauntlet.
Gaffgarion is fought three times in the story; first at Zeirchele Falls, followed by the battle at the Golgollada Gallows, and the final battle with him at Lionel Castle. When fought at Zeirchele Falls, he uses whatever abilities and equipment he is currently equipped with. During the battle at Golgollada Gallows, he is level 17 with 61 Bravery, 67 Faith, and equipped with the Blood Sword, Mythril Shield, Close Helmet, and other random equipment. During this fight, he is immune to the Berserk, Charm, and Stone statuses. He generally has the Counter ability in this fight, as well as other random abilities.
In the final battle with him at Lionel Castle, Gaffgarion is level 18 and equipped with an Ancient Sword and Golden Shield. He comes with no secondary ability and is immune to Berserk, Charm, and Stone.
When fought in the fourteenth Rendezvous battle: Brave Story, he is level 99 and starts with 65 Bravery and 52 Faith. He is equipped with the Defender, Reflect Ring, and his other equipment is randomized. He has access to the Fell Sword and Bardsong commands, as well as to the abilities Counter, Defense Boost, a random movement ability. He is immune to the same statuses as previously.
A Fell Knight with the mighty Duskblade at his command. Had been dismissed as division knight commander following criticism of the brutal methods he was not afraid to use in the name of victory.
Gaffgarion is an ally, a summonable Legend and a boss. His abilities are Shadowblade, Duskblade and Unholy Sacrifice. He is first introduced as an event boss in the event, Final Fantasy Tactics - The Lost Truth Part 1. He has become monstrous, rivaling an Esper in ferocity. In battle, Gaffgarion is armed with his Blood Sword and uses the ability Dusk Blade.
- Ability Cards
- Legend Cards
- Battle Images
A mercenary hired by the Order of the Northern Sky to escort Princess Ovelia. Gaffgarion was once a general in the Order of the Eastern Sky, but he was driven from the order following the end of the Fifty Years' War. There's no work he won't take for the right price, and his steely resolve ensures he gets the job done.
Gaffgarion appears as a boss in select FFT story dungeons and events and a player character who could be initially recruted during the Challenge Event A Sword for Peace as a First Time Reward for completing the event's Lurking Assassins stage in Part 1.
Gaffgarion is a Fell Knight, whose combat role is Physical Attack.
His default Soul Break is World-weary Blade, which at the expense of one Soul Gauge segment deals physical dark damage to all targets, with a moderate chance to Blind them.
He can equip accessories.
I never act when there is no coin in it for myself, but consider this charity! I shall accompany you a tad longer.
Gaffgarion appears as a character and summonable vision. His job is listed as Fell Knight.
Gaffgarion's Trust Master reward is the Bracer accessory.
- 4★ - No. 0268: "A mercenary who appears in the tales of holy stones known as auracite in the distant world of Ivalice. As tensions ran high due to the outbreak of war, Gaffgarion was hired by the Order of the Northern Sky to protect Princess Ovelia en route to Eagrose. He had in fact been division commander of the Order of the Eastern Sky during the Fifty Years' War, but was expelled for the barbarism he employed to ensure his final victory. Now he serves as a superior to his comrade Ramza, who has renounced the name of his noble house."
- 5★ - No. 0269: "A mercenary who appears in the tales of holy stones known as auracite in the distant world of Ivalice. Gaffgarion was a man who would use any means necessary to ensure victory, if money was at stake. Although he had been hired to protect Princess Ovelia, his true mission was revealed to be the elimination of the young girl. However, his plans to assassinate the princess failed thanks to Delita, and he was thus promptly forced to part from Ramza's company."
- 6★ - No. 0566: "A mercenary who appears in the tales of holy stones known as auracite in the distant world of Ivalice. Gaffgarion is a man who will use any means necessary to ensure victory whenever money is at stake. Originally hired by Dycedarg Beoulve to discard Princess Ovelia, he attempts to persuade Ramza into completing the task in the name of the Beoulve family regardless of Ramza's numerous objections. Whether Gaffgarion's words originated from a genuine concern for his country, or just to carry out his mission, remains unknown."
- —Entries for different versions of Gaffgarion.
Gaffgarion's stats at his highest levels are as follows (with no passive abilities taken into account), along with the maximum amount of stat points that can be increased through pot-enhancements:
|Dual Black Magic||100|
Gaffgarion can equip the following weapons: daggers, swords, hammers and spears.
He can equip the following armors: helms, light armos and heavy armors.
He can equip accessories.
- Limit Bursts
- Awakening Materials
|Crimson Tear x25|
Earth's Core x13
Sacred Crystal x15
Talmonite of Life x8
Holy Crystal x8
|Calamity Writ x20|
Calamity Gem x10
Prismatic Horn x10
Fairies' Writ x5
Divine Crystal x5
|4★||You seek my services? I do expect you have the means to pay my fee.||Men do not act of their own accord without expecting recompense! You know this to be true.||-|
|5★||I shall accomplish any mission I undertake, regardless of what it entails. But of course...for the right price.||The most powerful force in this world is money. Justice and ideals are just pretty words in the wind!||This is useful indeed! Now earning my fee will be child's play!|
|6★||You've got quite the eye to pick me, kid. Sure, I'll do whatever you say. As long as I'm getting paid for it!||Better not slack when it comes to being prepared. You can't use enough discretion if you want to survive on the battlefield.||It is wise to invest in me. As long as the pay is good, I will remain your loyal pet.|
- One can assay the executioner at Golgollada Gallows is Gaffgarion before he takes off the cape and the hood as both his mustache and the mouth guard can be seen on the executioner's face picture.
- Gaffgarion's character description in the chronicle says nothing about his scheming with Dycedarg and Delacroix.
- Before the part in the story where Gaffgarion betrays Ramza, the player can remove his equipment and make him useless when he fights them. One particularly amusing choice is to change his Job Class to a Priest with no equipment; his HP becomes so low due to this that he can get KO'd in one hit.
- It is possible to train Gaffgarion to become a Ninja in the two story battles before his betrayal. This allows players to have an enemy Ninja as early as in Chapter 2 by abusing the spillover JP earning mechanics (the earliest battle against Ninja is in Walled City of Yardrow in chapter 3). By manipulating Gaffgarion's level, the player can catch as many weapons that Gaffgarion throws as possible.