Dissidia Final Fantasy (2008)Edit
As Chaos's right-hand warrior, Garland knows the war's true nature and its endless cycle, giving him an advantage above the other warriors. Confident he will be reborn no matter how often he is struck down, he enjoys the battles of the war and appears to attack the heroes several times, and acts as counsel to the warriors. However, Garland's true connection to Chaos and the cycle of war is not revealed until the game's final storyline, when the Warriors of Chaos act of their own volition and desert Chaos. This leaves Garland as the only warrior standing alongside the god of discord, when he reveals the truth to him.
Garland's alternate outfit gives his armor a sepia color tone to give it a weathered look.
Garland plays a minor role, taunting Lightning about the manikins and later acting as the final boss of Scenario 012 in battle against her. He is present when the Emperor brings Jecht to Chaos to have him made a Warrior of Chaos, and suspects the Emperor has ulterior motives. In a flashback shown in the Reports, he is present when the Warrior of Light first appears in World B, and battles Prishe to see which will take him to their respective god to have the Warrior imbued with their power.
Near the end of the game, Garland tells Golbez that he was once imprisoned within a time loop until The Great Will freed him to preside over the war of the gods and nurture Chaos to war with Cosmos. One of the Reports written from Garland's point of view tells of his summoning to World B, before the cycles of war began, when he reflects on the time loop. This serves as one of several examples of the events of Dissidia Final Fantasy intertwining with the events of Final Fantasy.
Garland's second alternate costume gives him the appearance of Yoshitaka Amano's original design of Garland, a dark-skinned demon with white hair.
Garland is a playable character and a representative of Final Fantasy. He is available via update on 21st April, 2016. He is classed as a Heavy-type fighter, and is the first playable antagonist to be added. His armor and weapon has been given an significant overhaul, but otherwise retains his classic look.
He also has a new voice actor, Kouji Ishii, due to Kenji Utsumi's death from peritoneal cancer in 2013.
Garland is set to appear as a playable character.
A former knight of Cornelia. His lust for power results in his abduction of Princess Sarah, whose purity and reasoning would not be enough to quell the growing darkness in his own heart. Though felled by the Warriors of Light, this merely puts his plan in motion, travelling two millennia into the future and plunging the world into darkness.
Garland is a playable character, and is the representative antagonist of Final Fantasy. Added via update on March 1st, 2017, he is unlocked by collecting Dark Crystal Shards. His appearance is based on his Dissidia attire, and wields his version of the Claymore.
Garland is present as both a boss and a Legend.
- Ability cards
- Legend cards
Garland is a boss and a playable character who could be initially recruited during the Challenge Event Discord and Harmony (Cosmos), where he was a First Time Reward for completing the event's Warrior of Light stage. As he is also a deuteragonist in Mobius Final Fantasy, he was also available in the Collector's Event Doorway to Another Realm as a First Time Reward for clearing Desert Runic Temple - Hard.
I live in an endless cycle of rebirth. It would get rather dull without anyone else to amuse myself with!
Garland appears as a character and summonable vision. His job is listed as Chaos Knight.
Garland's Trust Master reward is the Equip L Sword special ability.
- 3★ - No. 0111: "A terrible creature who was once a knight from another world. He was the finest knight in all the kingdom of Cornelia, but when Princess Sarah rebuffed his love, he kidnapped her and barricaded himself in the Chaos Shrine. Four Warriors of Light, under command from the king, struck down Garland in his depravity and it seemed that his evil desires would be thwarted—but it was not to be. Escaping from death, Garland was drawn back through time to be reborn, two millennia in the past, as the immortal god known as Chaos."
- 4★ - No. 0112: "A terrible creature who was once a knight from another world. He kidnapped the princess of his kingdom, Princess Sarah, and barricaded himself and the princess in the Chaos Shrine, until he was eventually struck down by the Warriors of Light. But instead of meeting death's final embrace, Garland was pulled back in time to be reborn, two thousand years in the past, as the being known as Chaos. To maintain his immortal existence, he sends the four fiends-one for each of the elements: wind, water, earth and fire-into the future, to appear every two centuries to drain power from the Crystals and bring eternity within his grasp."
- 5★ - No. 0113: "A terrible creature who was once a knight from another world. He was struck down by the Warriors of Light, but escaped death by traveling two thousand years into the past to be reborn as the dark god Chaos. From there he sends his four fiends into the future to steal power from the Crystals, fueling his endless cycle of reincarnation. With each repetition of the cycle, the resentment he feels over the princess's rejection of his love grows within him."
- 6★ - No. 0444: "A terrible creature who was once a knight from another world. After Garland suffers defeat at the hands of the Warriors of Light in the Chaos Shrine, he uses the power of the four fiends to escape to the past. Now 2,000 years behind in time, he uses his power to recreate the four fiends anew whilst accumulating enough energy to send his future self to the past once again. He hoped this would create and endless cycle in which he would live for eternity."
- —Entries for different versions of Garland.
Garland's stats at his highest levels are as follows (with no passive abilities taken into account), along with the maximum amount of stat points that can be increased through pot-enhancements:
|Dual Black Magic||80|
Garland can equip the following weapons: swords, great swords, katanas, axes and maces.
He can equip the following armors: light shields, heavy shields, helms, light armors and heavy armors.
He can equip accessories.
- Limit Bursts
- Awakening Materials
|Beast Meat x25|
Esper Cryst x15
Farplane Dew x5
Sacred Crystal x5
Farplane Dew x10
Sacred Crystal x10
God's Reliquary x5
Holy Crystal x5
|Calamity Gem x20|
Calamity Writ x10
Rainbow Bloom x10
Prismatic Horn x5
Divine Crystal x5
|3★||Ahahaha! Do you remember me? Of course you do! I am Garland!||I seek a strength that will silence all! This paltry power cannot sate me!||—|
|4★||I am the one who lives forever. The dark presence, chaos. You would seek my power?||Yes... I feel it filling me now! A power to equal that of the Crystals themselves!||Chaos... That shall be my new name as I lead the world to its destruction.|
|5★||You seek to wield the power of chaos? Intriguing! But do you have the strength to see this through?||You would make an offering to me? Then I accept. Behold the true power of Chaos!||Ahahahaha! Yes, give me more power! MORE!|
|6★||Leave none who dare stand before us standing!||No one can escape their fate! No matter how much you struggle, you're destined to meet the same end.||Time is always moving... I will continue on living!|
Garland is depicted on a card of his Dissidia Final Fantasy art and a card of his EX Mode and his alternative outfit in Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy.