Food appears as healing items in the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles series. In the original Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles food was used for restoring HP instead of Potions, which are usually the HP restoring items in Final Fantasy games.
Potions returned in later Crystal Chronicles titles, but food was still around to restore HP and restore SP. Food and drinks were implemented to give the game more realism, in contrast to the traditional Final Fantasy method of restoring energy with bottled Potions and other medicinal items.
When eaten, food will temporarily modify a character's stats in some way. Choosing a food is an important part of any job, and depending on the needs of the character, many foods will work in a particular situation. Many players use food to make up for losses in their equipment, or so that they can increase one stat with equipment and another with their food (devoting all of one's gear to accuracy and then eating a food that boosts strength and attack, for example).
Although there are some exceptions, generally speaking meat dishes will increase strength and attack, sweets will increase the mage stats (INT, MND, MP, and MP while healing), seafood will generally boost either tank stats (VIT, HP), or accuracy, ranged accuracy, and ranged attack. Juices will give a refresh effect, and milks will give a regen effect.
Food is created from raw ingredients via the Cooking craft. The Culinarians' Guild in the Federation of Windurst is the guild that supports Cooking.
In Crystal Chronicles food restores HP and depending on the Tribe of the player, add temporary boost to the character. If a character doesn't like a certain food then it'll instead temporarily decrease the characters stats. Eating the disliked food more will change that and give characters the positive effect instead. They can be purchased in different towns (cost 40 gil and sold for 10 gil) or found in dungeons.
- Striped Apple - Magic +2
- Cherry Cluster - Magic +2
- Rainbow Grapes - Magic +2
- Gourd Potato - Defense +2
- Round Corn - Defense +2
- Star Carrot - Defense +2
- Fish - Strength +2
- Meat - Strength +2
Below is a list of the likes and dislikes of each Tribe. Each food is listed from most liked to most disliked.
Seeds can be found to give as gifts to characters' families. When characters return home the next year, the seed will have grown with certain fruits or vegetables growing from them.
- Fruit Seed - Grows Striped Apple, Rainbow Grapes, or Cherry Cluster.
- Vegetable Seed - Grows Gourd Potato, Round Corn, or Star Carrot.
- Strange Seed - Random fruit or random vegetable.
- Wheat Seed - Bannock Bread, Flour, or Wheat.
- Flower Seed - Grows nothing and is just for gift giving.
Other types of food appear in the game that are only for healing HP or other uses. They have no boost effect and are enjoyed by all Tribes.
- Bannock Bread - Received by family when grown from Wheat Seeds. Restores 1 heart.
- Milk - Can be purchased by Merchants or given to by family when a Cow is purchased from Fields of Fum. Restores 1 heart.
- Spring Water - Can be purchased by Merchants or found in dungeons. Restores 1 heart.
- Strange Liquid - Purchased by a Merchant in Shella or found in dungeons. Restores 1 or 2 hearts.
- Wheat - Received by family when grown from Wheat Seeds. Only for selling.
- Flour - Received by family when grown from Wheat Seeds. Only for selling.
In Ring of Fates food cannot be carried or purchased. They appear in dungeons after defeating an enemy and are immediately consumed by characters once picked up. They restore 80, 100, or 120 HP or SP depending on Tribe and type of food. Clavats are the best users of Food; all items in Ring of Fates restore 100 HP/SP when eaten by them.
- Round Corn - Restores HP
- Striped Apple - Restores SP
- Cherry Cluster - Restores SP
- Rainbow Grapes - Restores SP
- Star Carrot - Restores HP
- Gourd Potato - Restores HP
In My Life as a King, food that appeared in past games do not make appearances but are mentioned by the Padarak Citizens after shopping at the Bakery or sometimes the Emporium.
- Striped Apple Bun
- Striped Hot Pie
- Rainbow Croissant
- Round Corn Bun
- Star Carrot