The Final Fantasy XV Universe is a sub-franchise in the Final Fantasy series that was first revealed at the Uncovered: Final Fantasy XV event in March, 2016. Its purpose is to expand the story and world of Final Fantasy XV to other forms of media, such as films, anime series, and mobile games.
Stories told in the Final Fantasy XV Universe tend to focus on Noctis Lucis Caelum and take place during his fight against Niflheim. They negate the necessity for multiple Final Fantasy XV games, something in which developers had no interest. The contents of this franchise are standalone titles; they can be enjoyed on their own or as part of a larger tale.
- A King's Tale: Final Fantasy XV - A side-scrolling game released alongside Final Fantasy XV in which King Regis tells a fictional story from his youth to a young Noctis.
- Platinum Demo – Final Fantasy XV - A canonical prologue to Final Fantasy XV that takes place when Noctis is a boy.
- Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV - A CGI film that takes place during the events of Final Fantasy XV and tells the story of Insomnia's fall.
- Final Fantasy XV Prologue Parting Ways - A short story that takes place the day before Final Fantasy XV begins. Originally released in Japan as an audio drama, it was converted into a free e-book for Western audiences.
- Brotherhood Final Fantasy XV - A five-episode anime series that explains how Noctis became friends with Ignis Scientia, Prompto Argentum, and Gladiolus Amicitia.
- Final Fantasy XV - A video game that chronicles Noctis's journey to reclaim his throne and fulfill a greater destiny.
- Justice Monsters Five - A version of the pinball game Noctis and his friends can play in Final Fantasy XV for mobile devices.
- King's Knight -Wrath of the Dark Dragon- - A mobile game inspired by the Squaresoft title King's Knight that is featured in Final Fantasy XV.
- Final Fantasy XV: Episode Gladiolus - A downloadable scenario that takes place during the events of Final Fantasy XV. It focuses on Gladiolus Amicitia and Cor Leonis.
- Final Fantasy XV: Episode Prompto - A downloadable scenario that takes place during the events of Final Fantasy XV. It focuses on Prompto Argentum and Aranea Highwind.
- Final Fantasy XV: Episode Ignis - A downloadable scenario that takes place during the events of Final Fantasy XV. It focuses on Ignis Scientia and Ravus Nox Fleuret.
- Monster of the Deep: Final Fantasy XV - A virtual reality version of the fishing mini-game from Final Fantasy XV.
- Final Fantasy XV: A New Empire - An MMO strategy-simulation for mobile phones based on Final Fantasy XV.
- Final Fantasy XV: Comrades - A downloadable, co-op multiplayer expansion to Final Fantasy XV.
- Final Fantasy XV: Pocket Edition - A version of Final Fantasy XV for iOS and Android.
- Final Fantasy XV: Windows Edition - A PC version of Final Fantasy XV with enhanced visuals, a first-person mode, and mod support.
- Final Fantasy XV: Royal Edition
Final Fantasy XV was originally called Final Fantasy Versus XIII. It was to be part of Fabula Nova Crystallis: Final Fantasy, but this connection was reduced to unexpressed thematic elements that were used to build a new lore. Terminology and specific branding have been removed to distance Final Fantasy XV from the Lightning Saga.
In interviews regarding the Final Fantasy XV Universe, Director Hajime Tabata has repeatedly stated it is no longer a part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis: Final Fantasy sub-series. According to Tabata, the Final Fantasy XV Universe focuses on a single narrative and world, rather than several disconnected ones. It is Tabata's attempt to make Final Fantasy XV work in the modern market, and it exists to create multiple "entry points" in the game's story that narrow its scope.
Many fans find the Final Fantasy XV Universe confusing because it reveals crucial story information outside Final Fantasy XV. Responding to this, Hajime Tabata laments his team's aim with the project is difficult to properly articulate: "I think we're going to have to work a bit harder to get that message across in the future. Obviously, the people who bought the main game are the most important to us. It's a group of people we feel we have to value very highly, so expanding on the main game and improving it for those people is our number one priority. [...] We also want to expand the audience and bring new people into it and these side games are a part of that."
- A structure similar in appearance to Etro's gate appears at 00:02:23 in a trailer for the Final Fantasy XV Universe that premiered at E3 2017.
- ↑ http://www.gamespot.com/articles/15-new-things-we-learned-from-final-fantasy-15s-di/1100-6436138/
- ↑ Final Fantasy XV Tidbits From The April Active Time Report (Accessed: UnknownError: See this for how to archive.) at Siliconera
- ↑ http://www.usgamer.net/articles/final-fantasy-xv-everything-you-need-to-know-so-far
- ↑ 16 More Things We Learned About Final Fantasy 15 (Accessed: August 30, 2015) at Gamespot
- ↑ 『ファイナルファンタジーXV』発売時期を示唆、『Just Cause 3』との技術協力も決定【gamescom 2015】 QUOTE:
- ↑ http://www.finaland.com/?rub=site&page=news&id=5516
- ↑ http://www.novacrystallis.com/2016/04/final-fantasy-xv-detailed-game-informer/
- ↑ http://www.usgamer.net/articles/all-of-tonights-final-fantasy-xv-news-release-date-new-movie-and-more
- ↑ https://www.jp.playstation.com/blog/detail/2772/20160407-ffxv.html
- ↑ Final Fantasy XV: One Year Later (Accessed: UnknownError: See this for how to archive.) at Game Informer