Welcome to the Requests for Promotion page. If you wish to nominate a member, or yourself, to be a Staff Member, this is the place to apply. One of the Bureaucrats will review your nomination and pronounce their judgement. You can also request access to Intangir Bot, IRC rights and social media accounts here.
How to nominateEdit
To nominate a user for promotion, add a level 3 header with their username and the proposed rank in parentheses (i.e. ===Name (Rank)===)to the Nomination section below. The nominator should provide reasons for their nomination and sign with four tildes. Evocative poetry is encouraged but not mandatory. Other users can then review and comment on the user by adding bullet points below the initial nomination with Support, Oppose or Comment.
A nomination will always be archived once a Bureaucrat has pronounced judgement, unless it is a blatant troll nomination.
- Users must be editors on this wiki for a minimum of three months from their first edit before they can be nominated for any position.
- Users can only be nominated for the same position once every four months.
- A brief explanation of the user's deeds, why they deserve the position and how they would use the tools should be included in the initial nomination.
- Qualities we look for in our Staff include: consistent activity, contribution to content (images, templates, mainspace), knowledge and/or participation in policy, trustworthiness and the ability to remain civil and cool-headed.
Social media requirementsEdit
Our social media accounts include Facebook, Twitter, Github, Youtube and Twitch. Social media account access is judged on slightly different grounds. The guidelines are:
- The user must have a presence on the Final Fantasy Wiki to a degree.
- The user is a trusted member of the Wiki.
- These users represent the Wiki on other sites, and thus have a great deal of responsibility.
Those who have been selected to host the Let's Play project will be given the YouTube password automatically, but must go through the nomination process for other accounts if they wish to access them.
Promotion to Officer (IRC operator rights, +o up) can be requested on this page, but requires a two step process. Firstly, a user should register their interest here and garner support as usual. Qualities sought are experience with IRC commands, civility, and a cool head. Secondly, the user will have a short test administered by one of the Marshals on #wikia-finalfantasy. Promotion to Officer will be granted only if both components are passed.
Promotions to Sergeant (+vt) do not require a formal request on this page, but can be added if the user wishes to create more work for Scathe.
Ok, so I've been considering this for quite some time now.
The main reason why I would like to be a moderator is to be able to move files. Most of my work here focuses on the mobile titles and a big aspect of that is updating things for the global releases. For example, many files for FFRK (Record Materias or some weapons and armor) are still using the translated Japanese names which makes adding them to pages a bit inconvenient, but if was able to move them, I'd gladly do so.
I'm pretty sure there will also be many other instances in the future where I'd be able to edit more effectively this way. Thanks for your consideration! *fingers crossed* Miyu 02:31, November 30, 2016 (UTC)
- Support, Miyuron is an especially valuable user due to her work with obscure mobile games that most editors haven't played and don't contribute on. Cat (meow ∙ hunt) 06:18, November 30, 2016 (UTC)
- Support. I was thinking about possible future staff members the other day and her name was one of the first to come to mind. Does a ton of great work, why not give her tools to help do that work more efficiently? --Leon95 14:00, November 30, 2016 (UTC)
- Support.—Kaimi (999,999 CP/5 TP) ∙ 11:21, March 19, 2017 (UTC)
While the moderator rights cover pretty much what I need, I sometimes request files to be deleted. Probably the ability to lock vandals' editing rights would come in handly once in a while. Well, I've been doing quite a lot of work since becoming a moderator, especially regarding FFRK, but not as much as I'd like to.—Kaimi (999,999 CP/5 TP) ∙ 11:21, March 19, 2017 (UTC)
- Support - Prolific editor for mobile and XIII content who does file maintenance often enough for sysop to be useful. Also, the only productive sysops right now are Xeno and Techno. Cat (meow ∙ hunt) 18:42, March 19, 2017 (UTC)
TTFan has refused the position, so there's no point in us keeping this open. We can probably waive the four month rule if he changes his mind, but we can cross that bridge if we come to it.
I'm nominating TTFan for moderator. During his year of work here, TTFan has shown himself to be effective (almost singlehandedly responsible for getting raw-tabbers out of mainspace, and one of the few users who maintains the wiki for FFRK and TT, and in fact wrote most of the TT pages) and trustworthy, as well as willing to learn from his mistakes (just look at the self-deprecating list of things newbies can do wrong on his userpage). TTFan uploads a lot of TT images, so file move permissions would be helpful. Cat (meow ∙ hunt) 02:39, November 3, 2016 (UTC)
I'm truly pleased of this offer, especially because it comes from such a respectable source (ツ_ _)ツ
But I'm far from to be ready, I miss both knowledge of the Wiki as a whole and coding skills alike; my english level is poor and I quickly lose my temper thus the word "Moderator" doesn't match me even a bit -.-
Actually I would like to rename some images by myself but maybe Intangir Bot is my best option at it. After all I'm the one that opened the Pandora's Box of "tabbers", and many had to suffer for it (piled up complaints since first edit of TT(PA) until last one regarding FFL:TnS sections). "Moderator" is a prize that I'm not worth of it, really. I will keep doing a low-level coding routine as keeping care of TT(PA) section at a pace that fit my free time, as pestering Techno with some more considerations from time to time : )
Truly yours, TTFan from JP (talk) 06:21, November 3, 2016 (UTC)
Nominating myself for moderator because I think it would help me help the wiki more efficiently. I do a wide variety of work around here, but I consider myself to primarily be a maintenance editor. The additional rights I would receive as a moderator would open up more maintenance options for me. For example, I would like to empty Category:Articles to be decapitalised. However, I am hesitant to do this as it would leave behind numerous unnecessary redirects that I would then have to manually mark for deletion, which will create lots of tedious work for admins. Mod rights would give me the ability to suppress redirects, removing that issue. As for the other tools I'd get, I'm sure they'll inevitably come in handy as I go about my work. I can probably come up with some more examples if that ends up being necessary.
I think I'm trustworthy enough for the role and that my contributions/activity justify the promotion. I had a few years of forced inactivityNote: my break was due to real-life complications, not due to a lack of interest in wiki work, but I've since re-established myself as one of our most active and dedicated editors. I have a good amount of experience in most aspects of the wiki and have been around for a long time, so I know how our site operates and who its users are. When I interact with other users, I consider myself to be polite, friendly and as helpful as possible, and while I'm not vocal in every single wiki discussion that takes place, I always make sure to at least have a quick read of anything that pops up in forums/talk pages, so I'm always aware of anything important going on.
So yeah, how about it? I think I'd be a good fit for the position and would make good use of abilities that come with it, but ultimately it's up to you guys to decide if I deserve this. Thanks for considering me. --Leon95 11:43, May 11, 2016 (UTC)
- I was actually thinking of nominating you anyway. Support.-- Technobliterator TC 12:17, May 11, 2016 (UTC)
- Support and I would also recommend giving you access to Intangir Bot (I'd be willing to teach you how to use it); when you're mass-renaming content it often helps to be able to fix links automatically. Plus having more maintenance editors (mods/bot users) would seriously alleviate the load on staff when FFXV and FFVII-R1 release. Cat (meow ∙ hunt) 18:29, May 22, 2016 (UTC)
- Nominating because over the past few moths I have proven myself to be an A-grade shitposter and thus can only improve the quality of the twitter team. (OK actually it's so I can update DNC without having to bug Hexed or Cat, and maybe shitpost a bit) -- Some Color Mage ~ (Talk) 07:49, December 30, 2015 (UTC)
- support 2/10 would not shitpost again, but also because DNC often doesn't get posted on twitter and giving SCM access would help deal with that Cat (meow ∙ hunt) 07:56, December 30, 2015 (UTC)
- support i need somebody else to shitpost with me on it 14:52, December 30, 2015 (UTC)
- Support only if you promise to be as antagonistic and arbitrary as possible. You shall have a 1 week trial run. After that, it's to the dungeons for you. ScatheMote 00:27, December 31, 2015 (UTC)
Probably picked teemo, got what was coming to him.
- Nominating because I've been here long enough, you all love me and trust me, and I know how this stuff works. Plus Scathe still owes me for that time I saved him from that shootout with those cartels. Hexed 04:30, August 5, 2015 (UTC)
- hexedy pls -- Some Color Mage ~ (Talk) 05:50, August 5, 2015 (UTC)
- Strongly Oppose, your waifu is shit.-- Technobliterator TC 03:58, August 21, 2015 (UTC)
meh, screw it, I've had so many of these it's pointless, but basically Yuan gave me op rights, cool
I need to stop gaining titles now and hogging this page
- Nominating (AGAIN) - passed an IRC op test and proven to be true guardian of the channel and whatever.-- Technobliterator TC 03:12, September 27, 2015 (UTC)
- Objection! - He will just kick everyone who slanders his waifu :v --
- Support on the grounds that he keeps in mind that waifu warring can only be used for the occasional joke kick. -- Some Color Mage ~ (Talk) 22:55, October 1, 2015 (UTC)
- I have experience at wikis and have a good idea of how to manage users and blocks. I do watch RC frequently and observe vandalism but I don't have the tools to handle many things. The work that I do on the wiki varies all the time, so naturally every so often I encounter things where admin tasks will make my job quicker. For example, moving a set of images en masseSDing just gives another admin more work in reviewing and deletions, suppressing redirects means I have to do one individually to prevent broken links. Also if you support me for admin I can give you cookies. HTTP-flavour is fine? JBed (talk) 23:17, July 30, 2015 (UTC)
- Support: Despite all of my problems with this user, even I have to admit he is a knowledgeable and experienced editor likely to benefit from the tools as will the wiki, and this is probably overdue.-- Technobliterator TC 03:26, July 31, 2015 (UTC)
- Support: I've supported JBed for promotion before and my opinion has largely unchanged. He has total knowledge of our rules, procedures, and custom code, which is no surprise seeing as he's been involved in writing most of it, and I trust him to use any powers given to him properly. I believe that giving JBed admin rights will be a benefit to the wiki. -- Some Color Mage ~ (Talk) 11:17, August 2, 2015 (UTC)
- Support: There isn't really a downside to this at this point. -- 23:21, August 2, 2015 (UTC)
[23:37] <Technobliterator> ok if I forget bot jobs tomorrow
[23:37] <Technobliterator> yell at me
[23:38] <Scathe> it shall be done
[23:38] <Scathe> with great impunity
[23:38] <Scathe> there will be a yelling that stretches from coast to coast
[23:38] <Scathe> all the population with join in the yelling
[23:38] <Technobliterator> :c
[23:38] <Scathe> first, a small whisper from a small child
[23:38] <Scathe> "look at he who did not do the bot job.
[23:38] <Scathe> let us yell."
[23:39] <Scathe> the child begins to howl and scream
[23:39] <Scathe> he stomps his feet, he shakes his head
[23:39] <Scathe> others gather around the child
[23:39] <Scathe> "why do you scream, why do you shout?"
[23:40] <Scathe> but he does not respond because he cannot stop once he begins shrieking
[23:40] <Technobliterator> hahahahaha
[23:40] <Scathe> all the adults look down at the child and they begin to understand
[23:40] <Scathe> yes
[23:40] <SomeColorMage> I don't want to have to remember to yell at you :P
[23:40] <Scathe> they understand
[23:40] <Scathe> they begin to join in
[23:40] <Scathe> the deep shouts, the high pitched wails, the ululation reaches far and wide
[23:40] <Scathe> a real symphony
[23:41] <Scathe> the nearby village listens in
[23:41] <Scathe> "what is this that is happening?"
[23:41] <Scathe> They all run out of their thatched huts to the outside air
[23:41] <Scathe> they clamp their hands over their ears
[23:41] <Scathe> the sound is horrible
[23:41] <Scathe> but it is familiar
[23:41] <Scathe> then they remember
[23:41] <Scathe> yes
[23:41] <Scathe> they remember
[23:41] <Scathe> and they join in
[23:41] <Scathe> one more melody line
[23:42] <Technobliterator> now all this poem is missing is a title
[23:42] <Catuse> k
[23:42] <Scathe> the villages continue to sing and wail in one big group
[23:42] <Scathe> the nearby mountains begin to shake
[23:42] <Scathe> the snow begins to rumble
[23:42] <Scathe> an avalanche
[23:42] <Scathe> it barrels down
[23:42] <Scathe> as it should
[23:42] <Scathe> it is only right
[23:42] <SomeColorMage> poems didn't use to need titles
[23:43] <SomeColorMage> you just waited for someone to make a collection of your works and just number the things
[23:43] <Scathe> thousands are buried and crushed
[23:43] <Catuse> 400 years from now somebody will find Ark's IRC log
[23:43] <Scathe> but they keep shouting
[23:43] <Scathe> the trumpeting has been damped
[23:43] <Scathe> but still audible
[23:43] <Scathe> the few simple words
[23:43] <Scathe> "Techno, do the bot thing tomorrow"
[23:43] <Catuse> and Scathe's stories will be viewed as a sign of the trollingpeopleontheinternetism art movement that rose up that worst of times, the early 21st century
[23:44] <Scathe> end poem
[23:44] <SomeColorMage> Catuse: Yes, but the FFWiki IRC is less poetry and a case study into insanity
[23:44] <Technobliterator> wow that was
[23:44] <Technobliterator> beautiful
[23:44] <SomeColorMage> ...fucking beautiful, Scathe
[23:44] <Catuse> and the future people will think "huh, people used to use poetry to remind people to do chores"
[23:44] <Scathe> Technobliterator: alright, there's your admin poem
[23:44] <Technobliterator> :D
[23:44] <Scathe> you inspired me
[23:44] <Technobliterator> you have to put it on the page now
[23:44] <Technobliterator> and close my nomination
- The page's format is nominating self for admin, but I'll say it how I see it: volunteering to serve the community with sysop tools. Basically, I feel like I am, now, someone who can be trusted with the ability to take care of vandals and handle deletions and things the tools allow without needing to bug every sysop online first. If the community agrees that I am capable and trustable with the tools, I shall accept the position. I leave it up to you. And I leave you with this trash poem:
- Once by a wizard king struck was I by a spell
- Which I first thought would doom me to hell
- For crossing him did I soon find
- That my human body, I would leave behind
- As around me I saw my limbs replaced
- By those of a frog, a creature I grew to hate
- But only later did I realise this hate was misplaced
- And in fact, being a frog was truly, truly great.
- Doomed to the ponds of medieval England,
- I found little water, for I was so far inland
- Befriending tadpoles and other frogs with whom I could not communicate
- I soon dreaded and feared what would become of my fate
- For Rydia to cast Toad on me, and discover me shamed?
- Or to be freed by the Toad spell of another mage?
- Perhaps anyone with the Materia to grant the spell could end this trash
- Or maybe this is Crash 3's medieval level, and I shall be jumped on by Crash
- But nothing could be greater than what truly lay in store
- For me, an unfortunate soul so poor
- The apprentice of the wizard, so promising, yet so young
- Now I would dread the next part were the wizard's child a son
- But instead, gorgeous and pretty was she
- And the part which followed, you cannot believe
- Teaching of toads, the wizard told her to use power
- To save me from being frogged for so many hours
- But failing was she, to conjure up the spell
- I thought I was doomed, gave up, "oh well"
- Instead, the woman, the wizard princess
- In her dazzling medieval dress
- Leant down, for freeing me was her wish
- And she saved me from my state with the greatest kiss
- I was daydreaming, when I awoke as a human
- As that was the first time I had kissed a woman
- In truth, I am very awkward with the female type
- Yet I kissed such a sweet woman that night
- I never did find her, nor learned her name,
- But now determined am I, to find her again
- Though it was fun to make friends with tadpoles and toads,
- This was the best reward I received on this rocky road
- So do not upset a wizard king, is the morale of this story,
- Unless his daughter is fit, in which case I implore ye.
- Phew. I'll happily answer any questions you have for me if approached.-- Technobliterator TC 23:12, July 21, 2015 (UTC)
- Support: One of the most active users currently on the Wiki, and easily the user with the most call for the tools that he is requesting. Given his consistent hard work and a lack of recent detracting incidents, I can't think of a reason not to support his adminship. Jimcloud 01:48, July 22, 2015 (UTC)
- I also support this, if it'll help with the wiki. Plus he's shown himself to be very capable of handling things here and there, so why not I say? Xenomic (talk) 01:51, July 22, 2015 (UTC)
Look, I'm just gonna do this myself as I just found out Yuan promoted him back in May. You got your rights, yaaaaay.
- Nominating. As one of our most active users, Monterossa does have a history of clumsy mistakes and his opinions on the game are, as many have noted, odd. The former, Monterossa is very quick to pick up on and fix, the latter is not something we consider in our staff. Beyond this, Monterossaa has great contributions, in uploading images and sound file, in contributing a lot to new releases, to FFXIV (one of our biggest editors to that game), to Type-0 (another of our big editors to that game) and is active and participates in a lot of wiki-related discussion. Though he used to fail to categorize and license images, he has picked up on that. Monterossa is an active, helpful and friendly member of the community, and I think that giving him the tools to move pages and files without leaving redirects would be incredibly helpful for someone who does this often. For this reason, I am nominating him to be a mod.-- Technobliterator TC 13:38, April 25, 2015 (UTC)
- Support - We wouldn't have a lot of our MMO content were it not for Monterossa. I've seen a massive improvement when it comes to remembering to license and categorise, and I've never seen him lose his rag with anyone, all in all I think this could work if he wants the position. Tia-Lewise 13:44, April 25, 2015 (UTC)
- We've been leaving this hanging for a while so I may as well say something - So, obviously most of the admins have stayed out of this. And this is because, really, we don't know what to think about this. While Monterossa is certainly qualified and capable of being a mod, a lot of us are having our personal opinions of him getting in the way of our judgement, and our opinions have been largely spoiled by our first impressions of him. Seriously, I first encountered him ignoring a message about walkthrough rules I sent him (although in retrospect I think that one may have been Wikia's fault, as he complied as soon as I sent a second message) and a lot of the other staffers first noticed him when his uncomfortably large hateboner for Nomura pops up. So a lot of us have had trouble reconciling our impressions of him with who he actually is.
But of course, in the end, we have to ultimately be objective about this. And, from that standpoint, he meets every single staff requirement we have. And even if opinions could be counted against nominees, mod powers don't let people do new stupid things, it just lets them do stupid things faster. So, ultimately, I think I have to Support this. Assuming he still wants it after I've said all this stuff. -- Some Color Mage ~ (Talk) 13:37, May 11, 2015 (UTC)
On the first day, the crow was born. Naive and young, he used to play tricks on all around him. He came across a man who would juggle swords. While the man was giving a performance, the eyes of the crow glittered like the metal flying in the sunset. The crow threw a tomato at the man throwing the swords, and he dropped them all upon a small girl who was watching intently from the front row. As all held their breath in horror, when their averted eyes turned towards her. They did not want to see the horror of the red stained ground, yet like all humans, the fear (or was it delight?) of horror made them look. The only red was the tomato juice that had stained the front of the girl's blouse. All the swords were made from rubber and had bounced off her harmless. The girl, realizing that her brief brush with infinity had been only a ruse, began to laugh uncontrollably. And then all the adults began to chant, "You, swordman, were a fake; our hearts are harder than your swords. Be gone, and never be seen in this land again."
The swordman could only cry and cry, but his tears turned to rage once he saw the crow. "You who stained my hands red," he cried, "let your red add to mine!" He lunged for the bird's throat with his hands, but the bird deftly dodged. Three times he grabbed, and three times he missed. He, panting, said, "You have bested me crow. You are so nimble and strong. Let me give you this bunch of berries as a reward for your deftness." The crow, realizing the trick, said "I am full. I have eaten my fill of tomatoes today. I could not possibly eat a single berry."
At the mention of the tomato, the swordsman turned just as red as the object of his thoughts. Trying to calm down, he said "I have a great story to tell you about a cat and a village. Please come close to me so I can whisper it into your ear." The crow, catching on to the deceit once again, said "All children have heard this story before. It ends with the cat becoming the sun. It is why the sun is sometimes called The 'Great Cat.'"
The swordman began to heat up just like the Great Cat itself. Finally, the swordsman says, in a last ditch effort, "Come here, and I will make you a great leader of things. All will look up to you. You will be remembered forever, and a carpet of silk will be rolled out when you arrive at the world above." The crow was very tempted by this offer, and he almost swooped down to the swordsman. Three times he left his branch, only to return three times. However, just before he the fourth time, he said, "No, I do not need you to grant me power. I can get it myself under my own volition."
So the crow tried to become a great leader. He went too and fro, exhorting all to help. They laughed and called him immature and foolish, one who could never help or lead. So the crow did all that he could; he educated the young, aided the old, and sat with the middle-aged. But people still called him foolish and young. He grew older and wiser, but the same cries remained over and over. The crow almost gave up and went back to the swordsman, but in his heart, he knew that he could not. He kept going again and again and again until the cries turned silent and the anger turned to reverence.
On the second day, the crow looked at his crown on his head. It was going to be a good day.
It has been four months I nom'd myself for Admin. I figure, hey, let's try this again. This page should probably be used for more than awesome wiki fairy tales (can I have one of those, btw?).
Next week I'll be attending PAX East with Wikia. I'm not 100% sure if I'm officially attending as a Final Fantasy Wiki rep, or just as a general representative of the Wikia Gaming community, it doesn't matter. As a Wikia Star, I have the highest level of access with Wikia execs, I am a part of Wikia discussions since they bother to fill us in on Wikia changes. I can even volunteer us for experiments, but I am uncomfortable doing so since I am just a Mod, not an Admin. This is more a practical thing, since I can represent us - to Square Enix panels and meetings - as the highest member of this community, which I have worked towards and helped build in a large variety of capacities for seven years now.
I know I'm a painfully imperfect editor, I've been far too entertaining in my career here for my own good. So humbly, submitting myself entirely to the higher power of greater decision, I request this promotion. --BlueHighwindツ 01:38, February 28, 2015 (UTC)
- Support. Yes, I think promoting BlueH to admin might be a good idea due to the reasons he provided. Having an 'official' of sorts is definitely a good idea, although I have no idea of how being one can be beneficial for us for SE panels and meetings. And well, I think we can overlook his recent lack of contributions in the mainspace since he has this various Wikia Star privileges which I think are as beneficial as constant work on the level of the Wiki.—Kaimi (999,999 CP/5 TP) ∙ 01:46, February 28, 2015 (UTC)
- "I can even volunteer us for experiments" I wouldn't accept that even from an admin, the consensus maaaan. Couldn't you just inform us first instead? If you were to accept the volunteership then we'd find out whatever it is anyway-- it wouldn't be a secret. The fact that you could even do that worries me more; you're not an admin so Wikia don't even have the excuse of "on some wikis admin makes decisions" for allowing you to volunteer us. 184.108.40.206 02:22, February 28, 2015 (UTC)
- Support. I'm sure it's no secret to anyone including the man himself I have some issues with BH's past behavior and attitude towards the Wiki. He is an infrequent editor; outside his FF12 work over the last few months, his most consistent period of activity was during Magicite Madness 3 in 2013. On the other hand, he is absolutely right in stating his status with Wikia as a Wikia Star, and an official representative of the Wiki would be valuable. There are also the matters of "do we need another Admin if he deserves it or not" and a discussion of our unofficial representative with Wikia being someone they appointed without any input on our part, but those are debates for another time. All things considered, if BH is behaving himself enough these days and has enough influence and recognition for Wikia to take notice, I'll give the benefit of the doubt and say go ahead and promote him. Drake Clawfang (talk) 03:15, February 28, 2015 (UTC)
- Support - My position is the same as it was last time. I've seen for myself that Blue is quite capable of showing most of the qualities we look for in staff - consistent activity is probably the most questionable part but he is a constant presence on IRC and as such can be here when he needs to be. While I am aware that Blue's reputation may make people uneasy to the idea of giving him more powers, I do trust him to not be a bigger idiot with the admin powers as the current admins are (including me :V).
At the very least he probably needs an "Official FFWiki Representative" title as, thanks to Wikia, he pretty much is. -- Some Color Mage ~ (Talk) 10:18, February 28, 2015 (UTC)
- Conditional Support, BH is a guy I trust to be mature and responsible (unlike his past self :p), and has the qualities of an admin. My only condition is that he keeps up his editing, but I understand that that's difficult to expect given how busy his life is. I don't think he needs rights to be a "representative", I just am of the opinion that the only responsibility that comes with admin tools is to not abuse them - which Blue is sensible enough to not, and even if he did, he has not just us to answer for but Wikia. So, I'm supporting him only if he will keep his editing up.-- Technobliterator TC 10:56, February 28, 2015 (UTC)
- Support. BlueH occupies a unique position within our community as a Wikia Star. If the program asserts that Stars are selected for their "leadership in collaboration and creation within their individual communities", then I believe his capacities on the FFWiki should include tools that reflect management of page creation and correspondence with the community. BlueH has shown himself to be honest about his history on the wiki, and I believe he is an enduring and competent editor that will use such tools well. 8bit 20:03, February 28, 2015 (UTC)
- Then what does being an admin help? To make you feel better? To feel like you can discuss a new thing for the wiki, and feel like you can represent the FFWiki? You are already a staff member. :S 220.127.116.11 03:15, February 28, 2015 (UTC)
- Look around the help and blog pages at Community Central; Wikia specifically calls for admins in a lot of things involving significant changes to a wiki. I don't necessarily agree with this policy and would argue it mostly applies to small wikis where admins really do run the show, but there you go. C A T U S E 18:08, February 28, 2015 (UTC)
- As I alluded to in my comment up there, but that isn't the issue here. He said he gets all the updates and can volunteer us right now anyway. Even though Wikia has that assumption, I've made requests on behalf of the FFWiki using a link to a discussion to validate my request. And following a discussion an admin could still make the request.
- This "representing the FFWiki"... isn't it more like BH is a Wikia Star tied with gaming and edits the FFWiki? He could edit at another wiki and be in the exact same position as he is on here. I guess this point isn't much worth making because him being an admin here or not still makes no difference in his ability to represent the FFWiki. This sounds suspiciously on a similar level to making someone admin because they're an IRC op or perhaps a social media operator. 18.104.22.168 19:19, February 28, 2015 (UTC)
- Look around the help and blog pages at Community Central; Wikia specifically calls for admins in a lot of things involving significant changes to a wiki. I don't necessarily agree with this policy and would argue it mostly applies to small wikis where admins really do run the show, but there you go. C A T U S E 18:08, February 28, 2015 (UTC)
what the world wrought after spawning such life
sometimes I wonder, sometimes I wonder
but now I only have time to tell one such strife
it was the old winter storm, the silent thunder
made such by snow packed ears while frosted eyes
glimmer as the purpled bordered sky breaks asunder
covered in bread and beard, the man searched far off skies
he threw his sight to smell the great cat's heat
is it day or night or maybe time itself dies
and yet no matter how the whirling winds may sleet
and the windows may patter with stoney clicks
scrivener’s blood must be thus harder for this feat
he scratched and scribbled, pen swirling and swooping quick
a single flake of snow careened on his ink
a single spot at the end of lines like a tick.
he, surprised, at this strange addition, went to think
maybe writing is all that better this way
with symbols that can help the reader create links?
as he returned his quiver, the arrow in the melee
his oafish limbs smudged and smeared certain words
Into becoming larger than the rest that lay.
Aghast at the error, things took a turn more absurd.
The man stopped copying altogether in a fit of anger; he threw rhyming to the wayside, he broke line breaks suddenly stopped. He started to write how he spoke. Is that possible, he wonder, is that right or correct? Am I making a mistake to speak my mind and say what I mean in the way I speak? He looked at the flurry of the snow through the cracked window. And then he knew it was right.
He sent the manuscript to his editor, where it was of course questioned and attacked from all fronts. When asked to defend himself, the man only replied, “I had felt conned into copying what I had before. What I have created, I think is better.” And, according to this definition, people referred to his new work as “pros” and the old work as “cons.” While the latter name has fallen out of favor, the first name remains with us to this day.
- Nominating self for Facebook access. I use Facebook regularly and am on the wiki often so I can make frequent various updates and maybe make us as active as our twitter is. More importantly, LP updating. Since this is no admin nomination*which due to lots of reasons but mostly IRL stress, you won't see until I sort myself out massively, you won't see the frog poem I've been working on for some time just yet though, sorry to disappoint you but this is a plain nomination. :D-- Technobliterator TC 02:02, January 30, 2015 (UTC)
- Comment - Techno, if you are self-admitting to having stress issues, isn't taking on any extra responsibility a bad idea, even if it's just Facebook? -- Some Color Mage ~ (Talk) 02:06, January 30, 2015 (UTC)
- Comment - As best I know, those that currently are staff on the Facebook page are either those that began it, or those that were appointed because they were in charge of a project page on the Wiki and making them staff made it easier to post updates. Unless Techno intends to post news updates to the page (which I'd support, to be fair) or continue to post LP updates after the FF7 one ends, I'm not sure what benefit is gained from such a promotion. Drake Clawfang (talk) 02:31, January 30, 2015 (UTC)
- Comment - The plan was to post Shinra News (things which are less frequent nowadays) and future/current LP updates to the page, both when they go on YouTube, and when they are streamed on Twitch.-- Technobliterator TC 07:18, January 30, 2015 (UTC)
- Support. I don't think you could ever have too many admins and timezone-wise Techno can always pick up stuff I forget about. Also he'll be able to write his own witty LP posts instead of me with my half arsed attempts to be funny ^_^ Tia-Lewise 21:21, January 31, 2015 (UTC)
- Promoted as 3 pro and 0 con is good enough for me. Leaving this here for a bcrat to close. C A T U S E 00:29, February 9, 2015 (UTC)
The Cat began to set over the sky, and the Penguin Ball began to rise. Five o' clock, the time of mystery and intrigue. The joyous daytime continues to smile while the morose nighttime starts to weep. However, the Night has not yet begun to wrest complete control over the Kingdom of Earth by banishing his brother Day to another land, only for the cycle to repeat in a few hours. At five o' clock, Day and Night can share the kingdom.
It was during this that all the most wonderful things in the world happened. Love, magic, high-speed internet, all the rarities of the world appeared at this sacred time. During this time, the whole forest would get up and sing and dance. The trees would sway their leaves; with ardor, the arboreal ones danced alongside the harbor. Some hit mushrooms as percussion; others would rustle and whisper a melody. All who had seen it said there was no sight more beautiful than the oaken dancing.
One day, a king heard that these trees would dance and sing and enjoy themselves in his kingdom. He fumed in anger at the very thought. "A group of trees enjoy themselves in my kingdom? Without swearing fealty to me? Will I, a great king, take such an insult?" The rhetorical question needed no answer, although the king decided to answer it. "No," he said solemnly. He moved his feet from the aide whom he was using as a footstool and motioned him to rise. "Go and find some brave knights who will threaten the forest into swearing fealty to me." The aide nodded and stumbled out quickly; this was the first time he had moved in seven months, as years of inbreeding had left the king unable to properly move his feet. One might think that the inbreeding may have impacted his judgement as well, but in fact his stupidly and brutishness came from when his mother accidentally dropped a lead plated omelet (a kingdom delicacy) on his head. His parents also died that day of a severe lead-related illness, and the trauma was too much for his poor mind to bear.
But I digress. Three knights were collected. The first, Sir Palamon, was an oafish fellow. He could only grunt, a sound very similar to the sound that an old bearded yak makes when his feet are massaged by a gaggle of geese on Thursday. The second, Sir Charles, would spend hours waxing his mustache in order to make it as appealing as possible. Unfortunately, due to a batch of bad genes, his mustache ended up being a mixture of green, blue, and purple while his head had only three wispy hairs on it. The last knight, Sir Achromatic, was a veteran of the great Penguin War, in which he had lost an eye a well as his ability to see color.
The three knights came to the dancing trees at precisely five o' clock. Palamon grunted loudly. The trees looked up, as it was Wednesday, and thus they did not expect that sound. There was a small bout of silence as the two parties stared each other down.
"Treefellows," cried Sir Charles, "What have you! We come to ask but one favor; that you swear fealty to the, uh, great king of this land!" The trees looked shocked at this statement; however, as they, being trees, did not speak human languages, so they did not actually understand what Sir Charles had said. "If you do not swear fealty, you know that this means war!" screamed Sir Charles, his voice cracking at the most embarrassing possible moment. No response. "Well, uh, I guess this is war now." Sir Charles shrugged.
And so there was war. Sir Charles rode in first alone, chopping up the confused and terrified trees. Sir Palamon, a great lover of violence, followed Charles into the fray, but he was stupid to realize what is going on. Sir Achromatic, having already been paid in advance and could not care enough to help, quietly slipped out. Charles and Palamon butchered and destroyed thousands and thousands of poor trees.
One tree remained. He was huge and older than the kingdom itself, but it only took one swing from each to fell him. However, these swings was both of their last, as the tree fell upon both of them and crushed them.
The king saw the entire forest felled and was giddy with joy and bloodlust. He put on a jousting match to satisfy this lust, a tradition that would continue for generations to come. Meanwhile, the corpse of the last tree began to groan strangely. Suddenly, a strange four legged animal rose from the center of its trunk. Men would call this animal and its descendants the "Dogwood," which would be shorted to just "Dog" as people got lazier, which is generally true of successive generations. Its noises were the last remnants of the trees' language, and so men called it the "Bark."
- This one's just a formality, as my op rights have already been reinstated, but Yuan says I still need to apply through RfS and get a Scathe Judgment anyway. So Belatedly Nominating myself. My qualifications, as demonstrated while getting my rights reinstated, is knowing more about how to ban someone than Technobliterator does. -- Some Color Mage ~ (Talk) 12:03, December 10, 2014 (UTC)
- Support: He only flubbed the quieting part, and why quiet when kickbanning is an option? Jimcloud 18:12, December 10, 2014 (UTC)
Take it all in all, I do not believe anybody on earth has a worse time than an Emperor penguin.
- The End of an Empire, or, The Penguin Tragedy
In the depths of the Antarctic, a blistering blizzard sweeps across the colorless plains. In all directions, a white whipped whirlpool wounded the once virgin ears of a small black penguin, which the legends call Mecorx, all alone in the endless eddies of ice. Shivering, the penguin looked up at the great Cat in the sky. "I wish I was strong enough to fly to you," murmured the penguin. "I wish all my kind could fly, could soar in the air, feel the taste of air on my throat and on my wings. The sickly slime of water would never touch my down again, nor would the insults of all the other birds who exiled us to this cold waste because we could not fly." The penguin's eyes grew hazy as the world around her, and sense began to slip from her body. Three times she tried to move her leg, and three times she failed. Collapsed in a heap, her consciousness slipped away.
The Cat in the sky, who had grown kinder and gentler in the millennia of isolation in the cold unfeeling realm of space, took pity on all penguinkind. He turned to his friend, the well frog, who could hear all of time and space because of the good acoustics in the well, and asked for another wish.
"Since this wish is selfless, I will grant it to you," croaked the frog contently. "I will modify these flightless birds to have greater powers than they did before. Let there be flight." With a single ribbit, it was done.
The penguin awoke to find the storm to have passed. How did I live? Where did the storm go? She stood up to find that the world around her seemed more airy. Did it really happen? Can I fly? A single flap of her wings propelled her high into the sky. It happened so fast that even the Wind did not have time to catch, and He was left sputtering on the cold ground. Another flap, and the penguin fired herself faster than sound through the featureless air.
The feeling of flying was ineffable, like the misery from a child lost or the joy of one regained. Even the very taste of flight was unlike anything one could describe. The clouds, whose tiny droplets kindly greeted the new arrival, the ground so far away, weeping for its child lost to the mischievous air. Eventually, the penguin returned to her colony. They all looked up and gasped at the one whom they thought lost now slipping through the air. She dove down and skimmed the earth, and her wicked grin told all. Soon thousands of black bodies began to rise into the air.
Every day was now spent in the air. Sleeping, eating, talking, laughing. Why go to the dirty and unloving ground when you can float in the embrace of air? Never before had the penguins ever felt so much joy in their lives before this day, and for many days afterwards the same joy coursed through their wings.
However, like all joy ever experienced, soon it turned to hatred and jealousy. Those other birds who mocked and threw us into a cold frigid hell still breathe and live. They sing and laugh and dance and fly just like us. But they have not suffered like us. They have not felt the feeling of their eggs freezing, their loved ones dragged away by the maw of a seal, the indignity and ignominy of Antarctica. So let them suffer too!
And suffer they did. When the Cat was covered in eclipse, all the birds, nursing their young, playing games, telling jokes, looked up. Suddenly, the dark mass swooped down. Can you blame the ducks for fleeing beneath the water? Can you blame the sparrow for hiding his young? Can you blame the gull for begging for forgiveness? Can you blame the robins for weeping? But none of them was spared.
The Cat looked down on the great battle below, he was sad that his wish had gone so horribly awry. And so he began to softly Tweet, just like how the penguins Tweet. They all stopped their assault and looked up to the sky. They, one after the other, rushed up to reach to the top of the world. All climbed the ladder of the clouds. They fought and bit and attacked and clawed, and so many tumbled back to earth, never to fly again, their necks scarred and yellow, the only reminder of their former glory was the Imperial title. But the rest continued to claw and fight their way to the Cat in a great big ball.
Eventually, they reached him. However, but this time, they were so tangled together that they could not separate themselves. They, like the great Cat, began to orbit around the earth, and this Penguin Mass is what we now call the moon. They spin around the earth in hopes to catch the Cat, but they never will. To this day, when the Penguin Mass passes in front of the Cat, every bird still cowers in fear from the memory of the great Empire.
- Nominating Mecorx for mod per wiki discussions, due to her incredibly helpful translation work, being readily available to help translate Japanese text, and because she would benefit from the renaming rights for files/not leaving redirects. Has been discussed before.-- Technobliterator TC 08:15, November 28, 2014 (UTC)
- Support, and before anyone says that mecorx doesn't have any use for moving images, when she and Xeno were working on the FFAB project, perhaps hundreds of images were moved, and she would always have to ask Xeno or someone on IRC to do it. Has read through most of the wiki's policies, and while not necessarily active in the forum, is a good coworker in userspace translation projects. C A T U S E 08:23, November 28, 2014 (UTC)
- Support. I don't really have much to add, but she is certainly dedicated to her work and someone who has contact with non-English available games which we still cover in our scope and being a knowledgeable person in Japanese may only benefit her, in my opinion at least.—Kaimi (999,999 CP/5 TP) ∙ 08:34, November 28, 2014 (UTC)
- Support: why wouldn't I? An active user who helps multiple facets of the Wiki, and could most certainly be made a more effective user with the tools at hand. Additionally, she's been very helpful when I've made requests regarding her department of expertise (translations). Jimcloud 11:29, November 28, 2014 (UTC)
- Support: She always seems to have 6 trillion images for horrible iOS games to upload. This shows she needs the power. The fact she's working on horrible iOS games shows she's dedicated. In future when we have rightfully forgotten those games forever (because they're shovelware crap), mecorx's piles of images will remain here on this wiki, a testament to the futility of this thing we call the Final Fantasy Wiki. --BlueHighwindツ 20:15, November 28, 2014 (UTC)
- Support only if as I said before she can curb the occasional attitude on IRC. That aside everything else has been said above. Tia-Lewise 12:25, December 2, 2014 (UTC)
- Mecorx is pretty cool, does works on the wiki and isn't afraid of anything. Hexed 05:44, December 3, 2014 (UTC)
- Support: Meko-chan is a good user, a valuable asset to the Wiki, could use the extra tools, and what's more I like her. We need more snark. 06:03, December 3, 2014 (UTC)
- Comment: I'm sure I was going to support for an actual reason, but now I'm more interested in Scathe's great works. -- Some Color Mage ~ (Talk) 08:47, December 3, 2014 (UTC)
- A Test of Metal and Mettle
Once, in a faraway place, in a faraway time, all the knights were preparing for the great jousting festival. This was a tournament that drew hundreds of competitors from all throughout the land. A sport of guts and of blood thereof, a true test of glory. And so, hundreds became tens, and tens became two. The two who won were called in front of the king in the main square for the final showdown.
Almost immediately after they were called, the one named Sir Arcite arrived, the great and noble knight. He was clad in full armor from head to toe, and he gleamed in the setting sun. His horse was massive, its mane a veritable forest, its dim bitter eyes the recipient of hundreds of dead. "Greetings, fair knight," bellows the king. "Thou hast done well so far! Thou hast served thy kingdom with all these deeds."
Arcite replied softly. "Opponent?" His voice could curdle milk and pickle old women, and often his enemies would die after two words; today, luckily, as only one word was spoken, it only greyed the tips of the king's mustache and jiggled his bloated belly.
"I am unsure where thy foe might be," replied the king meekly as the few remaining hairs fell off his head. "But certainly he shall be hence soon." He stares nervously at the knight, an act that would make the king nearsighted for the rest of his life. The foe does not arrive. The king turns to one of his peons. "Silly and ignoble peon whose feet certainly smell, where exactly is this doomed opponent?"
The peon attempted to stutter out an answer. "W-w-w-w-e-l-l-…" The king was having none of this. After a quick public execution, the next peon stepped up to the feet of the king. This one, having a firmer grasp of his tongue, replied, "Well, my king and lordship, I hear that that a strange knight named Hexedy is the opponent."
"Oh?" The king raised an eyebrow so high and so dramatically that many onlookers, much later in life, would swear that it had extended to the reaches of heaven itself, "But where is this Hexedy?"
It was then a fairly hairy man with a small flower in his hair leisurely strolled into the chamber. "Ah," said the king, retracting his eyebrow from the stratosphere, "He is here. Let the match begin, we have waited long enough. It does not matter that this man has no lance nor horse; those things would not have helped him reach victory anyway. He is hopeless."
And so they took their places: Hexedy on one side, Arcite on the other. Arcite began to charge on his horse, going faster and faster and faster and faster. Hexedy did not move. Arcite drew his lance. Hexedy did not move. The snot and spit from the horse was inches away from Hexedy's face. Hexedy did not move. Then suddenly, Hexedy gave Arcite a great headbutt, or should I say, headbang. Arcite was tossed flying through the nearby palace wall, causing the majority of the building to collapse. Arcite continued to fly so fast and so far; eventually, he slammed into a great landmass so hard that the world would become clouded and dark for hundreds of years. This is how the dinosaurs became extinct.
Anyway, the king turned to Hexedy and asked "What dost thou want, o noble sire, for thy great deed."
Hexedy, as all reasonable people would, replied as so: "I want to disseminate very small amounts of information to thousands of bored and stupid people who will not really listen nor care about what I have to say."
So it was done, and the first university professor was born.
- Nominating myself for Twitter. Cause I use Twitter a lot and I would like to actually have the wiki account do something. I can guarantee only 10% of my usual personal twitter's shitposting quota, however. For reals though, do the thing. Hexed 13:38, December 3, 2014 (UTC)
- Support - Can it end up worse than what we have now? ... Probably not. Besides, it gives him an opportunity to actually help the Wiki (cough which isn't something you do a lot cough) Jimcloud 14:07, December 3, 2014 (UTC)
- Support, yeah sure why not you're not untrustworthy or inadequate for a social media account so meh go for it.-- Technobliterator TC 14:53, December 3, 2014 (UTC)
- The Pied-Tweeter
A quiet breeze blows through the center of the quiet hilly town. All the people are asleep, their snores adding a percussion beat to the guitars of the crickets. On top of a small well, a Cat looks sadly at the trees, its slanted eyes wistful. Suddenly, a silent ripple rustles the well water. Then, a great bubble. Now, a torrent! Water rushes in a massive blast out of the dark well and flies into the sky. The Cat, reasonably afraid, jumps and skitters away behind a barrel.
A small green head pokes over the well wall. "So," croaks the frog spirit of the well, "why do you look so wistful, Cat?"
A soft meow comes in reply. "I look up at the birds in the trees and envy how they can sing songs so melodious that even humans, whom everyone knows to have terrible taste in music, come and listen, petrified by song. Even the chickens, who cockle and doodle so loudly, have a certain kind of beauty behind it. I want that power: when I sing, women and children scream, and the men get out their shotguns to silence me."
The frog looked him deep in the eyes. "You may have what you wished. You may Tweet like the rest of the birds, just as you asked." The frog returned back to his well home, satisfied with a job well done.
The next day the Cat Tweeted all day, happy at the sound of his new voice. However, he became happier after the real reason for his wish came to him: all the birds, fooled by this song, came to investigate. There was never any easier prey to catch in his life! One by one, songbird, chicken, turkey, kiwi, and ostrich alike came their doom at the paws of the Tweeting Cat. The Cat became so fat that he could not move; however, he had no need, as all food came to him.
The villagers, whose livestock quantities had been significantly decreased, decided to band together to remove themselves of this menace. Yet, what could they do? They could not stop the birds following their doom from flute-like melody? Soon, the cat would eat all the birds in the world; as he became larger, the louder and more bellowing his voice became. So the village, talking for many days, finally decided on a plan.
At sunrise, the whole village gathered below the cat, and all of them were completely covered in shade, as people were wont to be this days with such a large cat there. They pushed and pushed and pushed and pushed. First, a movement. The cat Twittered in shock! This had not happened in many years! Movement was completely unfamiliar to him. The sweating villages did not give up the effort; they kept pushing and pushing and pushing. Suddenly, the Cat began to roll. A Tweet of anger was the last thing the villages heard before the cat rolled down the hill.
His mass made him roll so fast that, upon hitting the bottom of the hill, he rolled so quickly up the next one that he was launched into the air. He kept traveling on and on, crying and Twittering all the way, until he had flown so far that he began to orbit around the Earth.
This is where what we now call the sun comes from. It is also the reason why birds fly so close to the sun; they want to come in contact with the great Cat, who still Twitters out there, but they cannot fly high enough.
- Nominating self for Twitter access. Back when we first relaunched our Twitter feed, I was an active tweeter for the wiki. However, Jeppo and Scathe took care of everything, so I slowly became inactive and have since forgotten the password. Now our feed is looking kind of dead; in fact, almost all of our tweets are Shinra News-related. I'd like to be able to revitalize it with tweets for FI, FA, DNC, Let's Play episodes, and maybe even bring back Sunday trivia. C A T U S E 20:29, November 29, 2014 (UTC)
- Support, and I also support updating for all of those things, like with out Facebook. Except Facebook doesn't update for DNC, which is probably a good idea.-- Technobliterator TC 20:31, November 29, 2014 (UTC)
- Comment - Given that the proof of promotion would be your name being on Project:Twitter (and it is right there), this is essentially a vote to keep you in a position or remove you from it. You don't lose your position once you forget the password. This "promotion" request looks less like a promotion request and more like ideas to improve the Twitter account, which aren't reasons to promote someone. JBed (talk) 20:47, November 29, 2014 (UTC)
- Wut - You already have this position, so someone just tell him the password already. -- Some Color Mage ~ (Talk) 21:51, November 29, 2014 (UTC)
- Um... Yeah I could just tell you it, unless Jeppo changed it. Tia-Lewise 12:26, December 2, 2014 (UTC)