Fafnir is a High Notorious Monster (one of the three lesser Land Kings) in Final Fantasy XI, found in the Dragon's Aery, force spawned by the item Honey Wine. Fafnir acts as a placeholder for its more powerful version, Nidhogg, after three days have passed. Fafnir has a variety of devastating abilities shared by most monsters in the wyrm family. To avoid damage from Dragon Breath and Spike Flail, the most common strategy to defeat any Wyrm is to fight it with all party members standing at either side of its front, more or less on its front toes.
Special Attacks Edit
- Hurricane Wing: Moderate area damage, severe but brief Blind effect.
- Horrid Roar: Dispels at random one beneficial effect.
- Absolute Terror: Inflicts a single target with the Terror status, an irremovable Stun effect.
- Dragon Breath: Heavy frontal cone Fire-based damage.
- Spike Flail: Catastrophic area damage when hit is taken from behind. Generally will cause a player alliance to be instantly killed.
Treasure Pool Edit
All drop rates calculated with Treasure Hunter +4 effect.
|Dragon Blood||Synthesis Material used in Alchemy recipes||5%|
|Dragon Heart||Synthesis Material used in Alchemy and Cooking recipes||40%|
|Dragon Meat||Synthesis Material used in Cooking||5%|
|Dragon Scales||Synthesis Material used in Bonecrafting||80%|
|Dragon Talon||Synthesis Material used in Bonecrafting||95%|
|Wyrm Beard||Item for Black Belt Quest||15%|
|Aegishjalmr||Heavy head attire with high Enmity||50%|
|Andvaranauts||Hand attire with the Gilfinder ability||60%|
|Balmung||Great Sword with excellent statistics for its level||25%|
|Hrotti||Sword that repels Wyrms and mitigates Breath Damage||25%|
|Ridill||Sword that occasionally attacks 2-3 times||~5%|
|Aquarian Abjuration: Hands||Used to uncurse Zenith Mitts, hand attire for Mages||25%|
|Aquarian Abjuration: Feet||Used to uncurse Zenith Pumps, footwear for Mages||25%|
|Earthen Abjuration: Hands||Used to uncurse Adaman Mufflers, hand armor for Front line combatants||25%|
|Neptunal Abjuration: Head||Used to uncurse Hecatomb Cap, powerful headgear for damage dealers||25%|
- One Abjuration will always drop, each of the four with an equal chance of generating in the pool. There is a random chance for a second abjuration to drop, including the same abjuration as the first.
- The drop rate of Ridill seems to be independent from the rest of the treasure pool, and generally drops about 3 - 4 times over a span of two months, or ~36 - 50 times in a given year per server. Periods between Ridill drops range from month-long droughts to multiple days of successive drops.
- Multiple Synthesis Materials can drop with the exception of Dragon Heart, of which only one may drop.
- Fafnir also drops several thousand Gil upon defeat.
- If players are under the "Signet" status, Fafnir may drop up to 4 Fire Crystals.
- Players are awarded the title "Fafnir Slayer" upon defeating Fafnir for the first time.
Fáfnir (Old Norse and Icelandic) or Frænir was a son of the dwarf king Hreidmar and brother of Regin and Ótr. Fáfnir was a dwarf gifted with a powerful arm and fearless soul. He guarded his father's house of glittering gold and flashing gems. He was the strongest and most aggressive of the three brothers. Fáfnir eventually killed Hreidmar to get all the gold for himself. He became ill-natured and greedy, so he went out into the wilderness to keep his fortune, eventually turning into a serpent or dragon (symbol of greed) to guard his treasure.In Norse mythology,