(Eden, エデン?, lit. "Eden") (French: Orbital) is a summon exclusive to Final Fantasy VIII. Although it is debated what the exact nature of Eden is, the name and design indicate a link to the "Gardens", a theme in the game. It is the most powerful Guardian Force.
Eden is found at the Deep Sea Research Center. After defeating Bahamut, the player will be able to head deeper underwater. Below the surface, players will encounter Ultima Weapon if they have enough steam power left to reactivate the excavation site. Eden can be drawn from Ultima Weapon during battle.
Eden's Eternal Breath (エターナル・ブレス, Etānaru Buresu) can break the damage limit, even without the Boost ability. With all GF abilities learned, the player can easily boost the attack to the full 250, considering it also has the game's longest animation, at 72.6s. At the absolute maximum of its power, Eden can deal 60,000 damage to all enemies. Eternal Breath ignores enemy Spr. Its damage is calculated as follows:
The way Eden's compatibility works is unique. Summoning it only raises compatibility slightly, and it also slightly boosts compatibility with every other GF the player has equipped. It also doesn't have a unique compatibility item. Because of these, the only effective way to boost compatibility with Eden is via the LuvLuvG item.
|Summon Effect||Eden +2, Every other GF +1|
|Compatibility Items||LuvLuvG +20|
|Casting Magic||Apocalypse +0.4, Flare +0.4, Holy +0.4, Meteor +0.4, Quake +0.4, Tornado +0.4, Ultima +0.4, Aura -0.2, Blizzard -0.2, Blizzara -0.2, Cure -0.2, Cura -0.2, Curaga -0.2, Dispel -0.2, Double -0.2, Esuna -0.2, Fire -0.2, Fira -0.2, Full-Life -0.2, Haste -0.2, Life -0.2, Protect -0.2, Reflect -0.2, Regen -0.2, Shell -0.2, Slow -0.2, Thunder -0.2, Thundara -0.2, Triple -0.2|
Abilities learned naturally by Eden are listed below:
|Refine||1 refines into 3 Monk's Codes|
|Level 9 (GF Card)||Win||N/A|
The Garden of Eden in the Old Testament of the Bible in the book of Genesis is a paradise God created for his earliest creations, including the first humans, Adam and Eve. Being tricked by the serpent, Adam and Eve ate fruit from the forbidden Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil and were forever banned from the garden, this event being what some Christian denominations refer to as "the original sin." Also, according to the Ragnarok's origins, the Centra legend of the Dragon Ship, Eden may be the legendary Dragon Ship itself, and it could be assumed that due to the "Garden" theme of the schools, this is the oldest Centra weapon and thus why it carries the name.
- Even though it may look androgynous, Eden is actually a female. Other than the major tell-tale sign, the feminine form of the needle on the bottom, if one looks near the bottom of the needle, one will see a violet oval on the front. Aside from the female angel motifs on either side of it, within the oval one can make out a woman. Out of all the ultimate summons found at the end of each game, Eden is one of two females, along with Magus Sisters.
- Dissidia Final Fantasy has a trading component with the name of "GF Eden". It can be acquired by fighting the Seifer Special Friend Card, Level 100 Ultimecia. It is used to create the Bone Mail.
- Eden appears as a fal'Cie in Final Fantasy XIII as the fal'Cie responsible for all of Cocoon's base functions, and Cocoon's capital is named after it.
- In the French localization of the game, Eden is renamed Orbital, and Eternal Breath is renamed Otono.
- In the Debug Room the Guardian Force is referred as Bartandres. This could possibly hold a link with Barthandelus from Final Fantasy XIII.