Dragoon may refer to:
- The recurring job.
- The recurring pieces of equipment.
- The recurring weapon.
- The group of warriors from Final Fantasy II.
- The Dragoon Corps and boss from Final Fantasy IV.
- The enemy from Final Fantasy XIII.
- The enemy from Final Fantasy XIII-2.
- The garb from Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII.
- The weapon from Final Fantasy Type-0.
- The boss from Final Fantasy Record Keeper.
"Dragoon" is the traditional name for a special soldier type in classical European warfare. Unlike in Final Fantasy, the original dragoons did not fight with lances, that being the job of "lancers"—a different soldier class. Dragoons were infantry that rode on horseback, but fought on foot. Originally they fought with a musket called the "dragoon," giving them the name. The dragoons' arsenal expanded to include guns, sabres, and axes. During the Napoleonic Wars they became medium cavalry and reached the height of their popularity.
After the Napoleonic Wars, to make better use of the number of men the European military had, the dragoons were trained to use lances and lancers became obsolete. Thanks to the advances of modern warfare, dragoons lost their niche and modern dragoon units exist only for ceremonial purposes.
|This is a disambiguation page: a list of articles associated with the same title. If an internal link|
referred you to this page, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.