Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Den of Woe is an optional dungeon in Final Fantasy X-2. It is a hidden cave in the Mushroom Rock Ravine sealed with special spheres. Although Den of Woe is a sidequest, unlocking and entering the Den is necessary for achieving 100% completion. Completing Den of Woe gives the player Episode Complete.
The Den of Woe is where the spirit of Shuyin has dwelt for 1,000 years and the pyreflies within have become imprinted with his hatred and begun acting on their own volition. Rumors began circulating that people who entered the den witnessed illusions of a colossal machina.
During Operation Mi'ihen Maester Wen Kinoc sends in a group of aspiring Crimson Squad members, an elite branch of the Crusaders, under the guise of a final test to enter the force, his true reason being investigating the rumored illusions. Shuyin's spirit possesses the Crimson Squad candidates and they slaughter one another, with only one group escaping: Nooj, Baralai and Gippal and their sphere recorder Paine. As they fail to provide any useful information on the visions of a giant machina, Kinoc orders them executed to cover up the failure but the four escape. Kinoc orders the den to be sealed with magic.
Two years later the Gullwings stumble upon the den while heading to the Youth League Headquarters as they detect spherewaves and decide to investigate. They discover Ormi and Logos, Leblanc's henchmen who once worked for Kinoc, trying to open the sealed door by using various spheres. The goons flee, but leave behind a sphere, coincidentally the one that was part of the unlocking mechanism of the door: a Crimson Sphere, part of the set of spheres Paine had recorded of her group's progress. If the Gullwings return to the den after relinquishing the Awesome Sphere to either Youth League or New Yevon, they can meet Nooj outside the den who gives the party a Crimson Sphere.
The Crimson Spheres are the records of Nooj, Baralai, Gippal and Paine's experiences while training for the Crimson Squad. Locating all ten spheres unlocks the door and allows the party to enter the den. They find a cave filled with the pyreflies that have kept Shuyin in a semi-corporeal state for a millennium, fueling his anger and grief. During the sojourn, Rikku and Paine are possessed by Shuyin, and he shows Yuna how he and Lenne died, and summons the images of Nooj, Baralai and Gippal to fight Yuna. Yuna dispatches the illusions of Nooj, Baralai and Gippal and breaks Rikku and Paine free from their possession and the trio escapes the cave.
Location of the Crimson SpheresEdit
- Crimson Sphere 1 - Bevelle Underground, following the meeting between Nooj, Baralai, and Gippal. (Chapter 3)
- Crimson Sphere 2 - Farplane Abyss, from Nooj and Gippal following battle with Ixion. (Chapter 3)
- Crimson Sphere 3 - Farplane Abyss, from Nooj and Gippal following battle with Ixion. (Chapter 3)
- Crimson Sphere 4 - Guadosalam, in the hidden area of Chateau Leblanc. (Chapter 3 and 5)
- Crimson Sphere 5 - Celsius, from Leblanc in the Engine Room, following Yuna's concert. (Chapter 4)
- Crimson Sphere 6 - Via Infinito - Cloister 0. (Chapter 5)
- Crimson Sphere 7 - Den of Woe, from Nooj. (Chapter 2)
- Crimson Sphere 8 - Via Infinito - Cloister 20. (Chapter 5)
- Crimson Sphere 9 - Den of Woe, the sphere that Ormi and Logos drop. (Chapter 1)
- Crimson Sphere 10 - Guadosalam, hidden in Logos's room in Chateau Leblanc. (Chapter 2)
There are no random encounters within the cave. All fought within Chapter 5.
- Crimson Shadow
- Crimson Shadow x2
- Crimson Shadow x3
- Rikku (Boss)*
- Paine (Boss)*
- Baralai (Boss)
- Gippal (Boss)
- Nooj (Boss)
*These battles are fought only by Yuna.
|"Crimson Squad" from Final Fantasy X-2|
|Trouble with the audio sample?|
"The Crimson Squad", also known as "Party", is a music piece which includes vocals and drums. It plays whenever recording from Crimson Spheres are watched and acts as the location theme for the Den of Woe.
The theme that plays during Shuyin's vision is called "Nightmare in the Den". A piano arrangement of this theme is included on the Final Fantasy X-2 Piano Collection album. "The Crimson Squad" plays as the location's regular background music. "Yuna's Ballad" plays while she is fighting Rikku and Paine.
- If the player fails to get the Mascot dressphere due to finishing Zanarkand last (as getting Episode Complete there doesn't automatically send the player to the Celsius, thus never triggering the scene where the Gullwings acquire the Mascot), the player can still get the dressphere if they complete Den of Woe, as it will automatically transfer the party to Celsius, thus triggering the Mascot scene.