Dark Arts is a level 10 Scholar ability in Final Fantasy XI. It optimizes black magic capability while lowering white magic proficiency. Grants a bonus to enfeebling, elemental, and dark magic. Also grants access to Stratagems. It can be recast in 1 minute (-2 seconds for each Merit Points upgrade) and lasts for 2 hours.
Light Arts and Dark Arts are mutually exclusive. Using one ability will erase the other's bonus if present.
Dark Arts creates the "Dark Arts" status effect for the user, which has the following effects:
- Grants access to Stratagems that enhance Black Magic.
- Reduces MP costs for Black Magic spells by 10%, and increases MP costs for White Magic spells by 20%.
- Decreases casting time for Black Magic by 5 - 10%, and increases casting time for White Magic by 20%.
- Reduces recast time for Black Magic by 10%, and increases recast time for White Magic by 20%.
- Raises the skill cap for Elemental Magic, Enfeebling Magic, and Dark Magic from a D rating to a B+ rating. If Scholar is currently being used as a subjob, the skill increase is based on the main job's level, not the level of the Scholar subjob.
- Scholar's Gown adds an additional 15 skill levels, effectively raising the skill cap for Elemental Magic, Enfeebling Magic, and Dark Magic to an A- while under the effects of Dark Arts.
- Scholar's Loafers and Argute Mortarboard further reduce Black Magic casting and recasting times by an additional 5% each. The two pieces' effects are cumulative if worn at the same time.