Combat King (格闘王, Kakutō-Ō?) is a magazine in Final Fantasy VIII that teaches Zell new Duel skills. The abilities can be used before being unlocked by inputting the correct button combination, but they will not appear as an option.
List of issuesEdit
|Combat King 001||Dolphin Blow||The bottom floor of the D-District Prison; must be acquired before rescuing Squall from the Interrogation Room.|
|Combat King 002||Meteor Strike||Battle against Fujin and Raijin at Balamb Hotel on disc 2.|
|Combat King 003||Meteor Barret||Zell's Love Quest (see below).|
|Combat King 004||Different Beat||The player must speak to a lone Esthar soldier on a bridge near the Airstation during Lunatic Pandora's attack on Esthar City, while controlling Zell.|
|Combat King 005||Final Heaven||Inside Lunatic Pandora, on the path leading left from Elevator 03's basement. Can only be found if the player chose to trigger the red detonator during Laguna's second dream sequence.|
- If any of the magazines are missed, the player can buy them from Esthar's Book Store once GF Tonberry has learned the shop ability Familiar.
Combat King 003 sidequestEdit
The player can witness numerous optional scenes between Zell and the Pigtail Girl, who works in the Library Committee in Balamb Garden. None of the scenes are required to get the magazine, but the more scenes the player witnesses, the more complete the dialogue will be at the end.
- After hearing the briefing for the Timber mission, the party can return to Balamb Garden and enter the library, where Zell will ask the Pigtail Girl about a book he is looking for.
- If the player takes Zell back to Garden to warn Headmaster Cid of the missiles, and visits the library, the Pigtail Girl will give Zell a Mega Phoenix. If Zell's not in the party, she gives a Remedy.
- When Irvine has to choose instruments for the characters to play during the concert, he can leave the scene and visit the library, where the Pigtail Girl asks questions about Zell.
- After liberating Balamb from Galbadia, the player can enter the library with Zell in the party and the Pigtail Girl's friends hold a questionnaire for him.
- After visiting Trabia Garden, the player can take Zell to the library to the screen with the Esuna draw point and overhear the girls talking about Zell.
- On disc 3, the girls on the Library Committee will tell Zell the Pigtail Girl is looking for him.
The magazine can be obtained at any time after having liberated Balamb from Galbadian soldiers. After talking to one of the girls of the Library Committee, the player can head to Balamb and a girl in a red skirt will tell Zell that a girl with a pig-tail stopped by his house.
At Zell's house he will ask about the girl. The player must have Zell in the party and sleep in the Balamb Hotel. Upon waking the party notices Zell is gone, and find him downstairs where he's having a conversation with the Pigtail Girl, who hands over the Combat King 003.