Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Cloud of Darkness is the antagonist and final boss of the game's final story Rhapsodies of Vana'diel. Also known as the Void, the residents of Tartarus know it as the Cloud of Darkness, and that it is a primordial being that resides in the space between worlds. It consumes light and darkness, ceasing all life in its path while leaving a lifeless realm called Escha in its wake.
The Cloud of Darkness began to seep into Vana'diel when Promathia's destruction weakened the winds of time, despite numerous adversaries that maintained the balance of light and darkness. In one future, the Cloud of Darkness would fully appear in Vana'diel once all five Mothercrystals have been shattered from the corrosion caused by it. The future version of the adventurer attempts to defeat the Cloud of Darkness by expelling his/her darkness to become a god, but the plan fails and his/her counterpart is turn into the cloud's thrall Volto Oscuro.
Volto Oscuro acts to invoke the Cloud's manifestation prematurely in present-day Vana'diel, before being freed by Sempurne. Though the adventurer and his/her counterpart restore the winds of time before rejoining, the Cloud enters the Reisenjima Mothercrystal to gather its strength with Iroha attempting to hold it off. The exposure to Phoenix's power consolidates the Cloud of Darkness into physical form so it can be destroyed. After the battle, the Cloud of Darkness implodes with only its mask remaining before it shatters.
The Cloud of Darkness appears as the antagonist of the Crystal Tower story arc, and the final boss the World of Darkness raid. She is a powerful Voidsent who made a pact with Xande to be brought into Eorzea.
Among the antagonists, the Cloud of Darkness plays a small role in the storyline. Along with Kefka, Kuja, and Exdeath, it desires to plunge the world into the Void and destroy everything. Under Kefka's instruction, it kidnaps Terra to use as a tool for their plan, and confronts the Onion Knight with his childish fears and bravado. After Terra is rescued and the Onion Knight claims his Crystal, the Cloud of Darkness takes a minor role.
The Cloud of Darkness's alternate outfit colors its cape blue, while its EX Mode is colored a mixture of light green and dark green with a dull red for the legs.
The Cloud of Darkness reappears as a Warrior of Chaos in the prequel to Dissidia Final Fantasy alongside all the other characters from the original. It attacks Laguna, but is intrigued by his attitude towards serving Cosmos and fighting the Warriors of Chaos. Cloud of Darkness tells Laguna about the portal the manikins are using to cross over into World B from the Void to see what he does with this information, as seeking out the portal would be a suicide mission. The Cloud of Darkness's actions result in Laguna and other Warriors of Cosmos finding and closing the portal, and as punishment for its treachery, Kefka kills the Cloud of Darkness in the twelfth cycle, costing it its memories in the thirteenth.
The Cloud of Darkness's second alternate outfit gives it a white cape with white, blue and lavender body coverings. Its EX Mode in its original alternate outfit is changed to an orange and blue form resembling its NES battle sprite.
When the balance between light and dark is lost, a perfect void will be born that goes beyond all else and puts a stop to time's march. This being of pure darkness desires such nothingness above all else.
Cloud of Darkness appears as a boss-type enemy during Battle Music Sequences.
- Ability Cards
- Legend Cards
This being born of Xande's death sees all creation and it wants it painted black.
Cloud of Darkness appears as a vision obtainable through summoning. Her job is Ravager. Her trust mastery reward is Auto-Limit. She possesses the special abilities Armor Break, ATK +20%, Man-Eater, Barrage, Man-Eater+, HP +20%, Aura Ball, Omni-Veil, Comeback, ATK +30% and Call of the Void. She possesses the magics Blind, Protect, Thundara, Protectga and Thundaga. Her limit bursts are Wave Cannon, Particle Beam and Perfect Void.
- No. 126: "A being of destruction, hailing from another world where tales are passed down of the Crystals and Warriors of Light. It lives in the hope of returning all the world to nothingness, and is said to appear when the balance between light and dark is upset. When an ancient civilization, far advanced for their time, exhausted the power of the light, the Cloud of Darkness came forth from the great flood of light as it ran amok. It attempted to fulfill its goal of returning the world to nothingness, but the Warriors of Light and the Warriors of Dark, both chosen by the Crystals, defeated it and returned the world to stability."
- No. 127: "A being of destruction, hailing from another world where tales are passed down of the Crystals and the Warriors of Light. It appeared when an advanced civilization exhausted the power of the light, but then was sealed away by the Warriors of Light and the Warriors of Dark. But when the power-hungry wizard Xande calls on the power of darkness some one thousand years later in pursuit of eternal life and control over all the world, the Cloud of Darkness is woken once more. And in order to finally return both the World of Light and the World of Darkness to nothingness, it strikes down the Warriors of Light who would stand in its way."
- No. 128: "A being of destruction, hailing from another world where tales are passed down of the Crystals and Warriors of Light. It lives in the hope of returning all the world to nothingness, and is said to appear when the balance between light and dark is upset. When the wizard Xande floods the world with darkness, it awakens from its thousand-year-long sleep and strikes down the Warriors of Light who oppose it. But the Warriors of Dark sacrifice themselves to weaken it, giving the Warriors of Light one last chance to take on the Cloud of Darkness and defeat it once more."
- No. 329: "A being of destruction, hailing from another world where tales are passed down of the Crystals and Warriors of Light. Once the balance of light and darkness was disrupted, the Cloud of Darkness emerged to return all the world to nothingness. Having awakened from its thousand-year-long sleep, it is believed to have also appeared when light had consumed the world long before, and again when the darkness brought upon by Master Xande ravaged the same. An emissary of the Void, the Cloud of Darkness cannot be defeated unless both light and darkness are used against it."
- —Entries for different versions of Cloud of Darkness.
Cloud of Darkness's manikin and Cloud of Darkness in its Alt 2 EX Mode from Dissidia Final Fantasy appear. Its Alt 2 EX Mode card is able to use its Ultra Particle Beam EX Burst as its special ability. Another card depicts its Yoshitaka Amano artwork.
Cloud of Darkness appeared in Puzzle & Dragons as part of the Final Fantasy collaboration. The collaboration event happened in the North American version from 2 to 15 November, 2015.