The Circle of Knowing is a group of non-player characters in the original Final Fantasy XIV, prior to A Realm Reborn. Also known as Archons, they are prominent figures in the game's Main Scenario quests and Seventh Umbral Era storyline. The Adventurer would interact with different members of the Circle depending on which nation they created their character in and which Grand Company they chose. This also determines which member of the Circle defends the Adventurer when he or she is later attacked by Gaius Van Baelsar.
The Circle of Knowing hails from the city-state of Sharlayan in the northwestern Dravania region. They are marked by the Tattoo on their neck.
- Minfilia, the new leader after Louisoix is gone.
- Y'shtola, who interacts with Adventurer who start in Limsa Lominsa and join the The Maelstrom.
- Yda, who interacts with the Adventurer who start in Gridania and join The Order of the Twin Adder.
- Papalymo, who is paired with Yda for scenes in Gridania and with the Twin Adder.
- Thancred, who interacts with the Adventurer who start in Ul'dah and join The Immortal Flames.
- Urianger, who crosses paths with the Adventurer at some point during their journey and is involved in some of the temporary Seventh Umbral Era content for Lodestone achievements.
- Louisoix, who is involved in the Primal quests and leads the group.
Y'shtola, Yda, Papalymo, and Thancred all arrive late in the main storyline to fight Gaius when he attempts to kill the Adventurer, though he defeats and then wounds them and the Adventurer relatively easily.
A Realm RebornEdit
After the Seventh Umbral Era and Louisoix's death, the surviving members of the Circle of Knowledge merged with the Path of the Twelve into a new organization, the Scions of the Seventh Dawn, and made it their goal to restore the world.
- Some believe the Archons either caused or rectified the Sixth Umbral Era 1,500 years before the game.
- In the quest Of Archons and Muses, it is said that the Archons are the manifestations of The Twelve. There is mention of a Roegadyn Archon named Ahldbhar, the incarnation of Rhalgr, and Louisoix's staff bears the mark of Thaliak.
- Of the Circle of Knowing members, Urianger is the only one not shown in the End of an Era video.