Indeed, the very power I possess - shall be fed by yours!
Chronodia is a superboss from the original Final Fantasy found only in the 20th Anniversary remake and subsequent versions of the game based on it. She awaits players brave enough to venture to the deepest level of the Labyrinth of Time. There are eight different ways to get through the labyrinth, and thus eight different versions of Chronodia to fight.
Chronodia appears to be a monstrous woman with various appendages protecting a sphere, which is surrounded by the Four Fiends, which served as bosses earlier in the game. The weakest version (#196 in the bestiary) has no fiends "attached", while the strongest version (#203 in the bestiary) has all the fiends, and what looks like a head of Chaos coming out of Chronodia's hair, along with various extra weapons surrounding her. The more attachments, the stronger Chronodia becomes, as if she absorbs their energy.
Chronodia gains more attachments the more Blue Seals the player has instead of Red Seals.
Every version of Chronodia has the following two abilities:
- Regular Attack — Powerful physical damage to one target. The party should apply several Invisira spells to avoid it (especially if Chronodia is under the effects of Haste), and possibly Protect/Protera as a backup.
- Seal — Locks a command. Only one command can be locked at a time. Chronodia will always use this ability every fifth turn. Wears off in 4 turns. If "Fight" is disabled, the player should use spell casting items to continue to attack. If "Item" is disabled, the player should keep their White Magic user alive at all costs.
For spells and enemy abilities, each version uses a different subset of the following attacks:
- Slow — Casts Slow status on the party.
- Stop — Casts Stop status on the party.
- Ink — Casts Darkness on the party.
- Kill — Casts Death on a single party member. Without resistance to Death, will kill anyone below 300HP.
- Warp — Casts Death on the whole party. Time-elemental.
- Haste — Increases Chronodia's number of attacks. Her physical attack will kill practically anyone even at full health.
- Firaga — Fire damage to the party.
- Thundaga — Lightning damage to the party.
- Blizzaga — Ice damage to the party.
- Thunderbolt — Lightning damage to the party.
- Ice Storm — Ice damage to the party.
- Poison Gas — Poison damage to the party.
- Comet — Non-elemental damage to the party.
- Flare — Non-elemental damage to the party.
For #203, her spell cycle is as follows:
- Blizzaga → Flare → Firaga → Thundaga → Stop → Haste → Warp → Slow
And her skill cycle is:
- Ink → Thunderbolt → Poison Gas → Icestorm
As mentioned before, Chronodia always uses Seal every fifth turn. This action is independent of her ability cycles and does not advance her current placement in either the spell or skill list. As a result, she breaks the normal maximum of 4 entries in her skill list.
When all commands are available to the player, the seal has worn off, which provides an indication that Chronodia will use Seal in the next turn. Since Seal does no damage, no healing spells are needed, meaning the player gets a "free" round for attacking with everyone.
While Chronodia is tougher than Omega and Shinryu, the strategies used to fight her are similar: The player should make sure they use the healing pot in the room before the battle to clear status effects and restore HP and MP. If the party's level is low, or Chronodia's using Haste, it is not worth bothering buffing the party, as they will be killed in one hit anyway. The player should concentrate on keeping the party alive in this case. Otherwise, Saber/Haste/Temper/Speed Drink/Strength Tonic are great for the melee members and Protera/Invisira/Blink/Protect Drink/NulAll are great protection for everyone.
These can be achieved using magic and/or items. The player should use Healaga if possible, and otherwise use a Rune Staff or Potion (X-Potions if the party has enough). If someone is knocked out the player should bring them back to life as soon as possible using Full-Life, Phoenix Down or Sage's Staff.
The higher versions of Chronodia have high Defense, severely lowering melee attacks' damage. If these characters are not buffed they will be almost useless for attacking. Magic (non-elemental) seems to do the best damage. If the player is unable to buff the melee characters (because they die too often), at least they should use items to attack with magic (such as the Judgment Staff and Lightbringer), or heal.
It would be a good idea to have three Judgment Staves in the inventory, and to have one on the Black Wizard. This way, when a Seal blocks the party's magic or attack, it is still possible to hit the boss hard. The fight is easy until a Seal blocks White Magic; this can be dangerous if the party does not have enough healing items.
Temper, Protera, and Invisira all stack, so casting each multiple times can help. A few Proteras can reduce Chronodia's attack to under 200 damage, and Temper stacking can up the characters' attack power to well over 4,000.
The following lists which seals are required to fight each form of Chronodia.
- #196 (base form)
- Red, Red, Red, Red, Red, Red, Red
- #197 (with Lich)
- Blue, Red, Red, Red, Red, Red, Red
- #198 (with Marilith)
- Blue, Blue, Red, Red, Red, Red, Red
- #199 (with Kraken)
- Blue, Red, Red, Red, Red, Red, Blue, Blue, Red
- #200 (with Tiamat)
- Blue, Blue, Blue, Red, Red, Red, Red, Red
- #201 (with Lich and Marilith)
- Blue, Red, Blue, Blue, Red, Red, Red, Red, Blue, Red
- #202 (with Kraken and Tiamat)
- Blue, Blue, Blue, Blue, Blue, Blue, Red
- #203 (with all Four Fiends, Chaos, and miscellaneous weapons)
- Blue, Blue, Blue, Blue, Blue, Blue, Blue
Other appearances Edit
Chrono is derived from the Greek word khronos, meaning "time".
Dia means "day" in Portuguese and Spanish.
In ancient Greek religion and folklore, Dia means "heavenly," "divine," or "she who belongs to Zeus." The name is attributed to several figures, and thus is treated like an honorific or title.
- Chronodia resembles the final boss the Seven Heroes from Romancing SaGa 2, and may have been inspired by it.