Ah, sweet chocobos. You always set my soul at ease.
A chocobo is a type of large, flightless bird that appears in Final Fantasy XV. It is a recurring Final Fantasy series mascot, and its kind can be rented by Noctis Lucis Caelum and his friends to help them traverse the world of Eos. Wild chocobos also exist.
Chocobos are tall, friendly avians that roam wild but can be tamed and ridden. Wild chocobos one trotted freely through the forests of Duscae, but the recent influx of ferocious beasts has sent the birds running in fear and the population dwindled.
Wiz Forlane dedicates his life in protecting the birds, and several are kept at Wiz Chocobo Post in Duscae. The birds become loyal companions, and they are capable of jumping high, gliding short distances, and swimming in calm waters. Chocobos feed on greens; gysahl greens are their favorite. While wild chocobos can only be found with yellow or black feathers, tame ones allow their owners to dye their plumage a variety of colors. Their chicks are fairly large and docile with fluffy bodies.
Chocobos enable Noctis and his friends to travel at high speeds. They are not as fast as the Regalia, but they can go off-road. While chocobos are flightless, they can jump high, glide short distances, dash, and even swim. Taking a chocobo to the Vesperpool in northern Cleigne lets the player access fishing spots that cannot be reached on foot. Riding on a chocobo the first time earns the Chocobo Jockey achievement/trophy.
Enemies attack the party even when it is riding on chocobos, but they cannot be fought until the birds are dismounted. Chocobos may flee from battle, but they gain the ability to attack and perform link-strikes with Noctis as their levels increase. A chocobo's level, in combination with what it is fed, also determines its stamina, jump height, and gliding ability.
For a fee of 50 gil per day, Noctis and friends can rent chocobos for up to a week at various outposts. The birds can be called at any time by a whistle, and they follow the party when they are not being ridden. Chocobos join Noctis and his friends at camp, where they receive stat boosts if fed special greens. Greens can be purchased at Wiz Chocobo Post or obtained directly from Wiz by completing the quests he offers.
Rent-a-birds are located at various outposts and on the Vesperpool parking spot, as this area has no outposts.
- Galdin Quay
- Longwythe Rest Area
- Prairie Outpost
- Wiz Chocobo Post
- Coernix Station - Alstor
- Coernix Station - Cauthess
- Taelpar Rest Area
- Cauthess Rest Area
- Old Lestallum
- Burbost Souvenir Emporium
- Verinas Mart - Ravatogh
- Cape Caem
- Meldacio Hunter HQ
- The Vesperpool
Chocobos level up after they are ridden for extended periods of time. This occasionally grants them new abilities. Chocobo levels, rental ability and customization carry over when using chapter select.
|Level||Required riding time||Bonuses|
|2||00:02:00||Dash de Chocobo. The party can summon its chocobos to flee once per battle.|
|3||00:08:00||Increases max stamina by 10 and maximum running speed to 20 mph.|
|4||00:16:00||Kick de Chocobo. The chocobo will kick enemies during battle.|
|5||00:28:00||Increases max stamina by 10 and maximum running speed to 28 mph.|
|6||00:44:00||Dance de Chocobo. The chocobo can increase the rate at which the party's HP regenerates.|
|7||01:04:00||Increases max stamina by 10 and maximum jump height to 8'8".|
|8||01:24:00||Rush de Chocobo. The chocobo unleashes a flurry of attacks.|
|9||01:48:00||Increases max stamina by 10 and doubles stamina recovery rate.|
|10||02:18:00||Link de Chocobo. The chocobo can perform Blindside-Link attacks with Noctis.|
Chocobo statuses from foodEdit
Like with the party, chocobos can be fed at camp. These statuses are likewise displayed in blue.
- Chocobold increases chocobo stamina. It is applied by feeding chocobos Mimett Greens.
- Chocoboost increases chocobo top speed. It is applied by feeding chocobos Curiel Greens.
- Chocobounce increases chocobo jump distance. It is applied by feeding chocobos Reagan Greens.
- Chocobest increases chocobo stamina, top speed, and jump distance. It is applied by feeding chocobos Sylkis Greens.
The player can unlock abilities on the Ascension that enhance chocobo-related activities.
|Chocobonus||Gain 10 EXP for every ~0.35 miles traveled by chocobo.|
|Chocobump||Gain 1 AP for every 0.875 miles traveled by chocobo.|
|Chocojockey||Gain 1 AP from winning a chocobo race.|
|Chocoracer||Gain 50 EXP from winning a chocobo race.|
Noctis can race chocobos against his allies and try their hand at hoops races at a track near Wiz Chocobo Post. Winning races wins medals the player can decorate their chocobo with. The player can also find pears along the tracks that can be used to dye the party's chocobos to various colors.
Chocobo Salon at Wiz Chocobo Post can be used to customize the player's rented chocobos (Iris's chocobo cannot be customized). The player can dye their plumage and decorate them with medals gained from winning races.
I can't get it out of my head!
"Blues de Chocobo" plays while the party is at Wiz Chocobo Post, and "Rodeo de Chocobo" plays while riding a chocobo. Both were composed by Yoko Shimomura. During E3 2016 Square Enix showed a trailer with music by Afrojack that contained a bit of the chocobo theme. This can be played on the game's music player. Prompto Argentum sometimes sings the chocobo theme after the player learns about the Wiz Chocobo Post. An arrangement of the "Victory Fanfare" plays when winning a chocobo race.
"Rodeo de Chocobo" that plays when the player rides a chocobo originally could not be overridden with the in-game MP3 player, but this was addressed in patch 1.05.
The riding music is different when walking/swimming and trotting, and the music transitions to the trotting music smoothly. The transition time for walk-to-run is set longer than run-to-walk so that the music would not change every time the player must slow down to avoid a tree or to turn.
Creation and developmentEdit
Square Enix considered allowing players to catch and tame chocobos during the development of Final Fantasy XV. The company wanted the birds to have a lovable presence but look realistic, thus it had artists hide their leg joints with plumage and also disguise the patches of skin that appear under their eyes. Great care was taken to ensure the chocobos that appear in Final Fantasy XV were "cute."
Non-Final Fantasy guest appearancesEdit
A chocobo sticker can be found on a jeep outside of Layla Hassan's base during the present day scenarios.
A chocobo-styled camel named Kweh is a reward Bayek can earn upon completing the quest "A Gift from the Gods," part of Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed: Origins collaboration event with Final Fantasy XV.
- The Regalia's hubcaps have a chocobo talon motif. The Regalia itself can also be customized with a special, chocobo-related skin.
- In December, 2015, Square Enix's official Final Fantasy XV-related social media accounts asked fans to decide whether a chocobo that was to appear in a special piece of holiday artwork should be yellow or black. Yellow was victorious.
- It is possible to visit Angelgard via an "out of bounds" glitch if the player swims there on a chocobo.
- The Caricaturist likes to draw chocobos; there is a drawing at Wiz Chocobo Post, and two at her spot in Altissia.
- The first bonus, Dash de Chocobo, takes its name from the opening theme from the 1998 PlayStation 1 game Chocobo Racing.
- The "poppeck" style of fishing lures look like chocobos.
- From March 22nd to April 21st, 2018, Twitch Prime members could claim Kooky, a purple chocobo exclusive to Final Fantasy XV: Windows Edition.
- ↑ https://youtu.be/jtoyunrO62I?t=15m20s
- ↑ Final Fantasy XV Director Talks About Chocobos, Lunafreya, And Many Other Features (Accessed: UnknownError: See this for how to archive.) at Siliconera
- ↑ 26 Pieces of Gorgeous Final Fantasy XV Concept Art - IGN First (Accessed: UnknownError: See this for how to archive.) at IGN