|Final Fantasy XII Mark|
|Location||Zertinan Caverns (Hourglass Basin)|
|Uncommon Steal||Beastlord Hide|
|Rare Steal||Gemini Gem|
|Very Rare Drop||None|
|Canopic Jar Drop||None|
|Attacks||Attack 12-hit max, Smite of Rage, Ram, Tail Swipe|
|Abilities||Haste, Protect, Wail|
|Innate abilities||Safety, Null Knockback, Adrenaline, HP Devour, Parry, Item Plus|
If HP <50% - Attack Plus
|Immune to||Death, Petrify, Stop, Doom, Confuse, Disease, Reverse, Disable, Immobilize, Silence, Poison, Oil, Sap, Lure, Berserk, Warp, Poach, Fractional Damage, Sight Unseeing, Syphon, Numerology, Charm, Achilles, Wither, Addle|
|Other Information||Has Shell.|
Has 50% Reflect, Protect, and Bravery.
- See also: Catoblepas (Enemy)
Catoblepas can be found in the Hourglass Basin area of the Zertinan Caverns. There is also a scene later on where the party watches as a Catoblepas is defeated by Fury in the Necrohol of Nabudis. Catoblepas is also fought in the International Zodiac Job System trial mode at stage 52.
Hunt 30: Paying for the PastEdit
- Saw bill posted for the hunting of the Catoblepas (Rank VI). The petitioner is War-chief Supinelu in the Lull of the Land in Jahara.
- Hunt accepted. The Catoblepas is War-chief Supinelu's sworn enemy. It is to be found in Zertinan Caverns.
- Catoblepas defeated with War-chief Supinelu's assistance. Receive your reward in the Lull of the Land in Jahara.
- Reward received. War-chief Supinelu rejoices that the Catoblepas is no more. He has taken his revenge on the creature that once wounded his brother.
- Genus: Rank VI Mark
- Classification: Behemoth
- “A Tyrant among Behemoths, possessed of evil, red Eyes. Such who face it are consumed with fear upon meeting its Glare, their bodies becoming as Stone with their Terror. A Garif who fought the Catoblepas long ago and lived to tell of his Failure posted a Bill for this Mark.”
Catoblepas is located at the eastern part of Hourglass Basin, in its hidden area.
Once in Hourglass Basin, the player must use the south exit to The Undershore, then use the secret path located after the save crystal, reaching Hourglass Basin's secret area, where War-chief Supinelu will be waiting.
Catoblepas's attacks are similar to Behemoth-class enemies, only harder and faster - dealing an average of 3,000 - 3,500 damage. When Catoblepas's health hits HP Critical, the player should finish him quick as chain attacks will become more common.
Reaching the Save Crystal near the Zertinan Caverns secret pathway, it would be wise to cast as many buffs as possible on the party, War-Chief Supinelu included. Traps are scattered in some spots, making Float almost as useful as Haste. As The party should begin the fight with Dispel and debuffs on Catoblepas before charging in to attack.
War-Chief Supinelu should be casting magicks, but he can dish out a few physical attacks occasionally, although his physical attacks are weak. Catoblepas's powerful blows can easily bring down one of the party, if they are not high level enough, but Bubble can greatly improve their survival rate.
Catoblepas (from the Greek expression καταβλέπω katablépō meaning "to look downwards") is the name of a mythological beast whose description matches to a varying extent its appearance in the games: It is said to have the body of a buffalo and the head of a hog and the ability to turn people into stone with its gaze or its breath.