The Butterfly Hunt is a minigame in Final Fantasy X played in Macalania Woods. Shortly after arriving in Macalania, the party will come across a bird-like creature with a harp near a butterfly, who will tell about the game in a bit of a riddle.
To start the game, the player must find and touch one of the rainbow colored butterflies scattered throughout the woods. Several can be found, each triggering the minigame in that particular section. The minigame must be played in order to obtain the Saturn Sigil for Kimahri's Celestial Weapon, the Spirit Lance.
The rules are fairly simple: The player must collect the blue butterflies while avoiding the red ones. When the game begins, a transparent treasure chest will appear somewhere on the screen. Each time the player collects a blue butterfly, the chest becomes more and more corporeal. One must collect all seven within the time limit and the chest becomes solid, with the prize inside.
- Once the game starts, all Random Encounters are suspended. Even after the event is over, win or lose, random encounters will remain suspended until the player leaves that area.
- Touching a red butterfly triggers a battle comprised of the fiends found in Macalania Woods. However, they are twice as tough and the battles cannot be escaped from.
- Touching a red butterfly also loses the player a few seconds of time as Tidus bends down to pick it up before the battle starts.
- Once the hunt is over, the player must leave the area and return to reset the minigame. If, however, one managed to collect all seven butterflies but accidentally leave the area before collecting the prize, it will vanish and one must try again.
- If the time runs out the player loses and is transported back to the start point. If the player wins, they remain where they were at the game's end.
|Game moment||Time (secs)||Prize - Central||Prize - North|
|Before Battle with Spherimorph||40||MP Sphere||Ether|
|After Battle with Spherimorph||30||Megalixir x2||Elixir x2|
|After gaining Airship||30||Teleport Sphere/Saturn Sigil*||Teleport Sphere/Saturn Sigil*|
- After mastering both areas the player earns the Saturn Sigil; the first prize is the Teleport Sphere. It doesn't matter in which order the areas are played.