Boco, or Boko (ボコ, Boko?) is a recurring chocobo name in the Final Fantasy series. Boco often plays an important role as one of the main characters' chocobo, or otherwise as a notable chocobo in the game.
Known as Boko in later versions, he is the protagonist Bartz Klauser's chocobo and faithful friend. Boko has a brief appearance in Bartz's World when he helps Bartz rescue Lenna and Galuf, but becomes more important further into the storyline as the party is able to ride him around more frequently.
In the Merged World, Boko meets a female chocobo named Koko and they have children together. Bartz is amused by his bird's virility, calling Boko a "stud". Boko also appears in a tutorial by explaining the job system and abilities, after the player obtains the ability to change the party's jobs.
In the add-on game, Chocobo World, Boko is the main character who must, with the help of his friends Cactuar and Moomba, find his lost friend MiniMog. During his adventure he meets a female chocobo named Koko who assists him in gaining strength and, during the second quest, must be rescued from the Demon King. The information in Chocobo World can be transferred over to Final Fantasy VIII allowing the player to use Boko as a summon.
Location: Memoria, Chocobo's Paradise
Boco is the name of one of the cards in the Tetra Master minigame. He has an appearance similar to that of the Final Fantasy V Boko. It is a very rare card, only won from the Card Phantoms in Memoria, or, extremely rarely, from the Fat Chocobo in Chocobo's Paradise.
Additionally, the Black Mages raise a chocobo in their village and name him Bobby Corwen. This could be a reference to Boco, as the first two letters of the first and last names spell "Boco" (Bobby Corwen).
Boco is Wiegraf Folles' chocobo while Wiegraf is part of the Corpse Brigade. Boco participates in the battle at the Windmill Hut against Ramza Beoulve but is later abandoned by Wiegraf and found surrounded by monsters at Araguay Woods over a year later.
After saving him Boco then joins forces with Ramza. Despite his minor storyline role, Boco is simply an average chocobo. However, he is the only chocobo that has his own quote when the player highlights his name on the Formation Screen and presses the circle button.
After giving the Hunter Yew a chocobo in the mission "Rancher's Request - Yellow", all subsequent missions will feature the yellow chocobo in his stable. If its name is checked, the chocobo will be revealed as being named Boko.
Boko from Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy V appears.
- CV: Kana Hanazawa
- Notes: Chocobo / Bartz's best friend and traveling companion / Manages to converse with Bartz using only "kweh"
- First World of Origin:
- FINAL FANTASY V
Boco is the name of the legendary chocobo that emerged victorious after vanquishing a tower filled with monsters. Its name is mentioned in Enisque legend, and is cited to all who joined the national chocobo breeding program. Elena Xequs introduces his legend to novice royal chocobo breeders.
Boko from Final Fantasy V and Final Fantasy VIII appears as Wind-elemental cards.
Boko from Final Fantasy V appears on Triple Triad cards in the version playable via Final Fantasy Portal App.
Boco comes from the last two syllables for the word "chocobo", "co" and "bo", which are put in reverse: "bo" and "co". (チョコボール, Chokobōru?). The mascot for this product is Kyoro-chan (キョロちゃん?), a bird who says "kweh."The name "chocobo" derives from a Japanese brand of chocolate malt ball by Morinaga, ChocoBall
- In the smartphone remake of Final Fantasy V, Boko, Koko, and their children shared the same sprite with yellow chocobos from Final Fantasy Dimensions.
- In Dissidia Final Fantasy, Bartz carries around one of Boco's feathers as a good luck charm and gives it to Squall as a promise they will meet up again when Squall heads off on his own. The feather later helps lead Squall and Zidane to find Bartz once he is captured, at which point Squall returns the feather to him. After Bartz defeats Exdeath the chocobo feather transforms into his crystal. Additionally, a chocobo's cry is heard at the beginning of Bartz's EX Burst, along with chocobo tracks walking across the screen.
- During Caravan Security in the 1.0 version of Final Fantasy XIV, both "Boco" and "Koko" may have appeared as the chocobo names.
- Boko/Boco is one of the most popular personal chocobo names in Final Fantasy XIV.