- “A weapon new to the Sanctum army, this gunblade is only issued to highly trained soldiers.”
- —Description, Final Fantasy XIII.
Blazefire Saber (ブレイズエッジ, Bureizu Ejji?, lit. "Blaze Edge") is a gunblade with fair, balanced attack power and no special abilities. It is Lightning's signature weapon. It is the only gunblade which appears in cutscenes no matter which model has Lightning equipped, due to the cutscenes being prerendered in Final Fantasy XIII.
Blazefire Saber is a first tier weapon available for Lightning. It is Lightning's starting weapon and can be obtained from the Retail Network Up In Arms for 2,000 gil. It can be upgraded to the Flamberge by using the Perovskite item, and provides physical defense as its chain ability.
Despite the Blazefire Saber's lack of abilities and low attack compared to some other gunblades, its use as a balanced weapon between Strength and Magic makes it useful for Lightning, as she is balanced herself. Using the Blazefire Saber allows her to switch easily from physical to magical attacking, without a loss in comparative attack power. It also requires fewer Experience Points to be leveled up compared to some of her other weapons.
The Blazefire Saber is available to all players who have a Final Fantasy XIII save present on the console on which Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII is played.
Weapons from Final Fantasy XIII universe will make an appearance in Final Fantasy XIV. Blazefire Saber is among the ones included.
Blazefire Saber is a unique, untradable level 13 weapon which provides Physical Damage of 11, Auto-attack of 7.62, and Delay of 2.08. Its bonuses are 2 points in Strength, 1 point in Vitality, 2 points in Parry, and 1 point in Determination. It is available to Gladiators and Paladins.
The Blazefire Saber returns as Lightning's weapon. She wields it in all of her alternate outfits and in both of its forms (sword and gun). Bartz can also use Blazefire Saber in some Bravery attacks, but only in its sword form. Manikin forms of the two characters use crystalline versions of the Blazefire Saber.
The Blazefire Saber is also a level 1 exclusive weapon for Lightning, found in a treasure chest, and also able to be crafted, making it possible to own multiple copies. It raises Lightning's Attack by 11 points.
- “One of many gunblades used by one of many beautiful heroes. It's hard to keep track.”
Blazefire Saber grants +4 to Attack. It can be equipped by Warrior, Red Mage, Blue Mage, Onion Knight, Firion, Terra, Celes, Zidane, Tidus, Ashe, and Lightning.
Non-Final Fantasy AppearancesEdit
The Blazefire Saber (known in this game as its Japanese name, Blaze Edge) appears in Square Enix's Parasite Eve spin-off game, The 3rd Birthday. It is an unlockable weapon for Aya Brea, along with a costume based on Lightning, as part of Dissidia 012 and The 3rd Birthday's tie-ins.
An official Blazefire Saber keyring has been released as merchandise, made out of leather and metal. Lightning wields the weapon in some of her merchandise.
- There is an inscription on the saber that reads "Invoke my name - I am Spark", written in the Pulsian alphabet.
- Additionally upon close inspection in the render present in the game cover, there's an inscription that reads "Made in Cocov(Cocoon)" in Cocoon alphabet.
- In Japan, the gunblade's name, Blaze Edge, is also a name for a music piece from the original soundtrack used for the most boss battles on Cocoon and some marks on Gran Pulse. The English release names the track "Saber's Edge".
- The Blazefire Saber also makes an appearance in a PS3 advertisement called "Michael" - PS3 Long Live Play -- Full Length standing on weapon holder.