Although ill-suited for wielding weapons, Black Mages easily bend destructive black magic spells to their will.
- —Dawn of Souls Instructions
- See also: Black Mage (Job)
The Black Mage (くろまじゅつし, Kuromajutsushi?) is the offensive magic caster of the Light Warriors. While the Black Mage has weak combat skills and the lowest HP out of any character class, s/he is capable of inflicting negative status effects and causing great damage to the enemy with his/her Black Magic. They have the appearance of a human dressed in a blue cloak, with only eyes glowing in the dark of his/her face. He has only changed in stance, making him the least changed character, other than White Mage.
|Equipment and Magic usable by Black Mage|
|Weapons||Staff | Mage's Staff | Power Staff | Dagger | Mythril Knife | Masamune|
|Armor||Clothes | Copper Armlet | Silver Armlet | Ruby Armlet | Diamond Armlet|
|Shields||Elven Cloak | Protect Cloak|
|Helmets||Leather Cap | Ribbon|
|Gloves||Leather Gloves | Protect Ring|
|Black Magic||Fire | Sleep | Focus | Thunder | Blizzard | Dark | Temper | Slow | Fira | Hold | Thundara | Focara | Sleepra | Haste | Confuse | Blizzara | Scourge | Firaga | Slowra | Thundaga | Death | Quake | Stun | Blizzaga | Blind|
After completing the Citadel of Trials, Bahamut, the Dragon King, upgrades the Black Mage to the rank of Black Wizard (くろまどうし, Kuromadoushi?). This enables him/her to cast higher level spells and equip better weapons and armor. While the NES version of the Black Wizard depicts him/her with his/her hood down, all versions after the WonderSwan Color port change his/her outfit but retain the hat, obscuring his/her face. The 20th Anniversary Edition depicts the Black Wizard in a costume identical to the Magus from the original version of Final Fantasy III.
|Equipment and Magic usable by Black Wizard|
|Weapons||All Black Mage Weapons | Spellbinder | Cat Claws | Ultima Weapon | Judgment Staff|
|Armor||All Black Mage Armor | Black Robe|
|Shields||All Black Mage Shields | Zephyr Cape|
|Helmets||All Black Mage Helmets|
|Gloves||All Black Mage Gloves|
|Black Magic||All Black Mage Spells | Teleport | Break | Saber | Warp | Kill | Flare | Stop|
In the Dawn of Souls, 20th Anniversary and iOS and Android versions, there are ten optional auto-names for the different character classes. Each name is a reference to another character or place name in the Final Fantasy series. The ten names for the Black Mage class are:
- Delilah - Character in Final Fantasy III.
- Gilles - Character in Final Fantasy III.
- Gungho - Character in Final Fantasy VI.
- Homac - Character in Final Fantasy III.
- Kokkol - Character in Final Fantasy IV.
- Koko - Character in Final Fantasy V.
- Nina - Character in Final Fantasy III.
- Stella - Character in Final Fantasy V.
- Topapa - Character in Final Fantasy III.
- Zok - Character in Final Fantasy V.
In the FINAL FANTASY I · II · III Memory of Heroes novelization, the Black Mage's name is given as Daewoo.
- The Black Mage makes a small cameo in Dissidia Final Fantasy as a tutor from the in-game manuals. He sometimes talks with a bit of a speech impediment, for example, "Bart Stutton" as opposed to "Start Button".