Batallia Downs is an area in the Norvallen region in Final Fantasy XI. Connected to Jeuno via the Artisan Bridge, the area forms a path to Jugner Forest, and through it, San d'Oria. historically, the area is both the site of the bloody Battle of Jeuno and the location where the Enlightened Races are said to have first descended to Vana'diel after their creation by the goddess Altana.
Aged Arbor Edit
This arbor is all that remains of a once-mighty tree. It sits in the alcove of a plateau on the north side of the area, overlooking the rest of the Batallia Downs. The area is relatively peaceful, though it is said that a treant called Weeping Willow stalks the area.
Coveffe Barrows Edit
The many Coveffe barrows dot the landscape of Batallia Downs, making the terrain very hilly. Those of the barrows that contain entries allow the player to pass into the Eldieme Necropolis; ancient, underground ruins running under the area. The barrows can often obscure a player's vision of the surrounding area if the player is around the bottom of them, often making weaker adventurers targets for the fast and lethal tigers that roam the area.
Sea of Shu'Meyo Edit
The Batallia Downs are bordered to the northeast by the expansive Sea of Shu'Meyo, the waters north of Jeuno that are home to the Qufim Island. Despite the distance from sea level, fishermen will have no trouble angling any of several varieties of saltwater fish native to the area.
Gobbie Mystery Box Edit
- Position: (K-8)
A goblin stands watch over mystery boxes which he offers to adventurers to open at no cost. The contents of the boxes are said to change with time, and have a higher chance of yielding rare items for adventurers who are patient.
Voidwatch Operations Edit
- Position: (K-8)
Personnel have been stationed outside the walls of Jeuno to assist adventurers in the ongoing Voidwatch Operations. The Voidwatch Officer here is charged with debriefing adventurers as well as issuing Voidstones and rewards, whereas the Atmacite Refiner lends a hand by enriching Atmacite and teleporting adventurers to locations where Voidwatch Operations are being conducted.
Stone Monument Edit
- Position: (J-11)
Located on an island not far from the coast of Batallia Downs, this particular stone monument may only be located by following the path through the Eldieme Necropolis to reach the island. The monument reads:
I have come to a place with countless mounds of earth. According to legend, it was here that our ancestors, created by the Goddess, first descended to Vana'diel.
Since time immemorial, elderly Elvaan have come here to await their final rest. Many pilgrims of other races, too, have ended their journeys here, wishing to be close to the Nurturer.
Of course, faith and discipline are virtues. But life is to be enjoyed, and the lives of others respected. Faith can wait until these two things are accomplished.
I told this to a Galka friend, and he bellowed a hearty laugh. Yet I could see his point: those who only live a short while have no time for such thoughts.
To think of these things and wonder is the duty of the living.
The treant NM Ahtu can also be found near the stone monument.
Planar Rift Edit
- Position: (G-8), (I-9), (J-10)
These mysterious rifts are disturbances in the fabric of time and space. It is from here that extradimensional invaders of unknown origin, collectively known as "Voidwalkers", breach into Vana'diel. To stem the tide of invasion, adventurers may volunteer themselves in Voidwatch operations to dispatch these intruders at the source. The fiend Cherufe can be found at the Planar Rifts here.
Connected Areas Edit
(L-9), The Eldieme Necropolis
(D-6), (F-5), (G-7), (G-8),
(H-8), (I-7), (I-10), (J-11) and Batallia Downs (S)
(H-5) added. You can help the Final Fantasy Wiki by uploading images.
- Breaking Barriers: The player must travel to the island where the stone monument is located and examine an area on the island, which will prompt two Notorious Monster rocs to attack the player. After defeating the rocs, the player may obtain a figure of Leviathan, required to complete the mission.
- The Pursuit of Paradise: The player must examine a spot nearby the entrance to Jeuno in the Batallia Downs in order to trigger a cutscene, which will allow the player to obtain the Delkfutt Recognition Device to enter an off-limits area of Delkfutt's Tower on Qufim Island.
- Cavernous Maws: The player must examine a cavernous maw in Batallia Downs, Rolanberry Fields, or Sauromugue Champaign in order to enable the ability to travel through time.
- Gatherer of Light (I): The player must obtain a bowl of bland Goblin salad from enemies in the Batallia Downs, and use the item on a certain spot on the plateau overlooking Batallia Downs in order to summon the Goblin Notorious Monster in the area that possesses a shard of the Seed Crystal.
- Stalking Sapling
- May Fly
- [Goblin (Final Fantasy XI)|Goblin Gambler]]
- Goblin Leecher
- Goblin Mugger
- [Orc (Final Fantasy XI)|Orcish Cursemaker]]
- Orcish Fighter
- Orcish Sergeant
- Goblin Digger
- Goblin Furrier
- Goblin's Damselfly* Pet of Goblin Furrier
- Goblin Pathfinder
- Goblin Shaman
- Goblin Smithy
- Goblin Bounty Hunter
- Orcish Beastrider
- Orcish Brawler
- Orcish Impaler
- Orcish Nightraider
- Sabertooth Tiger
- Sobbing Sapling
- Evil Weapon
- Wight* at night
- Mauthe Doog* at night
- [Ghost (Final Fantasy XI)|Evil Spirit]]* at night
- Ignis Fatus* during foggy weather
- Earth Elemental* during dust storms
- Ice Elemental* during snowstorms
- Land Pugil* caught fishing
- Snipper* caught fishing
- Cutter* caught fishing
- Dagon* caught fishing
- Kraken* caught fishing
Notorious Monsters Edit
Musical themes Edit
"Batallia Downs" is the eponymous theme of the area. During battles in the area, either "Battle Theme" or "Battle Theme #2" plays, depending on whether or not the player fighting is alone or in a party, respectively.