- “A country on the world's smallest continent. Known for its temperate climate and warm people. Balamb Garden adds a school-town feel to this country.”
- —FFVIII Info Corner
Balamb (バラム, Baramu?) is a country in Final Fantasy VIII. According to the Final Fantasy VIII Ultimania, Balamb used to be part of the Holy Dollet Empire, but since becoming autonomous, it has remained calm and peaceful. Balamb is mainly accessed by boats, although it is also connected to the Galbadian continent by underwater train, which offers a service from the town to Timber.
The island's sole town, Balamb Town, itself is surrounded by Balamb Island's varied landscapes, including sandy beaches, thick forests, and mountainous regions. It is also the hometown of Zell Dincht. Although shown as a peaceful area, it is captured by Galbadian troops under the control of Seifer. It is quickly liberated by SeeD.
Some of the locations found in Balamb include:
- Bite Bug
- Glacial Eye (near mountains)
- Fastitocalon-F (at beaches)
- Caterchipillar (in forests)
- T-Rexaur (in forests)
- Esuna - In the tunnel, following the train track.
- Blizzard (discs 1 and 2)/Cure (discs 3 and 4)- Above the entrance to Fire Cavern.
- Cure - Base of the mountains, just to the north-west of Balamb Garden.
Balamb is present as a room for preset characters of the game's Multiplayer Mode Online Lobby.
Balamb appears as a background in Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call.