"Answers" is the main theme of Final Fantasy XIV, composed by Nobuo Uematsu, with lyrics by Yaeko Sato and Michael-Christopher Koji Fox, and performed by American musician, Susan Calloway. In an interview promoting Final Fantasy XIV before its release, Uematsu says Calloway was his first and only choice to sing the song after her performance on Distant Worlds. Uematsu also said it was his favorite piece on the soundtrack.
- I close my eyes, tell us why must we suffer
- Release your hands, for your will drags us under
- My legs grow tired, tell us where must we wander
- How can we carry on if redemption's beyond us?
- To all of my children in whom Life flows abundant
- To all of my children to whom Death hath passed his judgement
- The soul yearns for honor, and the flesh the hereafter
- Look to those who walked before to lead those who walk after
- Shining is the Land's light of justice
- Ever flows the Land's well of purpose
- Walk free, walk free, walk free, believe...
- The Land is alive, so believe...
- Suffer [feel] lonely [face] witness [teach] reason [hear]
- Follow [feel] wander [think] stumble [teach] listen [speak]
- Honor [speak] value [tell] whisper [tell] mention [hope]
- Ponder [hope] warrant [wish] cherish [wish] welcome [roam]
- Witness [roam] listen [roam] suffer [roam] sanction [sleep]
- Wither [sleep] Wander [sleep] answer [sleep on]
- Now open your eyes while our plight is repeated
- Still deaf to our cries, lost in hope we lie defeated
- Our souls have been torn, and our bodies forsaken
- Bearing sins of the past, for our future is taken
- War born of strife, these trials dissuade us not
- (Feel what? Learn what?)
- Words without sound, these lies betray our thoughts
- (See what? Hear what?)
- Mired by a plague of doubt, the Land, she mourns
- Judgement binds all we hold to a memory of scorn
- Tell us why, given Life, we are meant to die, helpless in our cries?
- Witness [feel] suffer [think] borrow [teach] reason [hear]
- Follow [feel] stumble [think] wander [teach] listen [blink]
- Whisper [blink] shoulder [blink] ponder [blink] weather [hear]
- Answer [look] answer [think] answer together
- Thy Life is a riddle, to bear rapture and sorrow
- To listen, to suffer, to entrust unto tomorrow
- In one fleeting moment, from the Land doth life flow
- Yet in one fleeting moment, for anew it doth grow
- In the same fleeting moment thou must live, die and know
|Trouble with the audio sample?|
A distorted version of "Answers" has replaced all outdoor field and battle music after the Final Save maintenance on October 31st, 2012. It features all of Susan Calloway's singing filtered at varying degrees throughout the song, but the choir and orchestra have been replaced by an ominous, aetherial rumble. This track has been referred to by fans as "Dalamud Answers", and is the largest variation of the song ever placed in the game.
- An NPC named Jainelette ("Jainelette the Honeysong", as she calls herself) plays the first few measures of the main melody on her harp. She is found on The Astalicia, the Marauder's Guild at map reference (4, 7) in Limsa Lominsa.
- A slightly shortened version of the song was used in the "End of an Era" trailer.