A master of transmutation, the alchemist can alter nature at a whim.
Alchemist (錬金術士, Renkinjustushi?) is a job in Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, usable by the nu mou. Alchemists feature astounding stat growth in both Magick and Resistance (which is highest of nu mou's job) without the loss of too much HP.
The Alchemy moveset is mainly supportive, as only Protometeor, which deals non-elemental damage in a five-tile area, serves as a reliable source of damage. Flare is also a reliable spell, but requires two turns to cast (without Halve MP or the MP Efficiency/MP Channeling clan privileges).
Alchemists can always use items, regardless of the secondary Ability slot, as they are endowed with an unique third A-Slot locked to Items, making Item Lore a good support ability choice. Alchemists cannot learn any reaction abilities.
A good strategy is to learn the reaction ability Critical: Quicken from the Time Mage and then change to an Alchemist, since then whenever their HP become critically low they could use an X-Potion, restoring their health. This tactic can be used whenever the Alchemist reaches HP Critical, practically granting them infinite HP, with the notable exception of finishing maneuvers while they are slightly above Critical, or OHKO's.
To use the Alchemist, a character must master two Illusionist A-Abilities.
The skills of the ALCHEMIST center on their ability to transmute and alter matter to suit their whim.
|Render units in a small area immune to debuffs.|
|Transmute an HP Critical unit into a consumable item.|
|Call a giant meteor from the sky, damaging units in a small area.|
|Prey on the mind of your foes. Depletes MP of units in a small area.|
|Abruptly raise the temperature of the air surrounding the target, causing a violent explosion.|
|Distill toxins from the air to POISON the target.|
|Release a gas that alters the target's biology, turning it into a TOAD.|
|Magick↑||Life Crosier||Raises MAGICK. Increases magick damage dealt.||300|
|Safeguard||Adamant Vest||Prevents the user's weapon from being stolen or destroyed.||150|
|Item Lore||Wizard's Hat||Increases the effect potions and other consumables have on the user.||150|
- Alchemists, along with Rangers, have the Item Lore support ability useful for their lack of healing and restoring abilities (for example: Cure and Esuna). Eureka Crystals and Grimoire Stones aren't improved since they completely restore HP and MP respectively. The potency of Knot of Rust damage may be increased for an easier boost of Dark Matter damage.
- The Alchemist is a very favorable primary job due to their ability to use three A-Abilities, one of which is always the Item A-Ability.
- An easy way to fight Alchemists is to Immobilize them since they have short magick range (Protometeor may be an exception) and then inflict Confuse or Berserk on them so they won't use magick or items freely.
- To easily defeat Alchemists, one should always inflict debuffs on any of their allies. Since they have Items have a tertiary A-Ability, they are prone to use restorative items such as a Remedy on their allies. They have low Defense, so one may want to back-attack them with a powerful all-out attack for an easy KO.
- An Alchemist can actually have the longest Action-list possible, with a secondary A-Ability, a Scion Accessory, and either getting an Opportunity Turn, or standing beside a Chest/Quest Object.