A master of transmutation, the alchemist can alter nature at a whim.
The Alchemist is a Job in Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, usable by the nu mou. Alchemists feature astounding stat growth in both Magick and Resistance (which is highest of nu mou's job) without the loss of too much HP.
The Alchemy moveset seems supportive, as only Protometeor, which deals non-elemental damage in a five-tile area, serves as a reliable source of damage. Flare is also a reliable spell, but requires two turns to cast (without Halve MP or the MP Efficiency/MP Channeling clan privileges), and the Death spell has been transferred to the Arcanist.
Aside from his normal abilities, an Alchemist can always use items, regardless of his secondary Ability slot, as he is endowed with an unique third A-Slot locked to Items, making Item Lore a good support ability choice. To access this job, a nu mou must have learned two Illusionist abilities. Alchemists cannot learn any reaction abilities.
A good strategy is to learn the reaction ability Critical: Quicken from the Time Mage and then change to an Alchemist, since then whenever their HP become critically low they could use an X-Potion, restoring their health. This tactic can be used whenever the Alchemist reaches HP Critical, practically granting them infinite HP, with the notable exception of finishing maneuvers while they are slightly above Critical, or OHKO's.
- To Use: Master 2 Illusionist A-Abilities
The skills of the ALCHEMIST center on their ability to transmute and alter matter to suit their whim.
|Skill||Source Equipment||Effect||Range||AP To Master||MP Use|
|Astra||Sage Crosier||Bestows Astra in four-tile area.||4||200||8|
|Transmute||Zeus Mace||Turns an HP-critical enemy into item.||1||350||8|
|Protometeor||Scorpion Tail||Strong four-tile area damage.||3||400||8|
|Rasp||Energy Mace||MP damage.||3||250||8|
|Flare||Lotus Mace||Strong one-tile magick damage.||3||400||16|
|Poison||Druid Mace||Inflicts Poison.||4||150||8|
|Skill||Source Equipment||Effect||AP To Master|
|Magick↑||Life Crosier||Increases Magick Power.||300|
|Safeguard||Adamant Vest||Prevents stealing and breaking.||150|
|Item Lore||Wizard's Hat||Doubles effect of recovery items.||150|
- Alchemists, along with Rangers, have the Item Lore support ability useful for their lack of healing and restoring abilities (for example: Cure and Esuna). Eureka Crystals and Grimoire Stones aren't improved since they completely restore HP and MP respectively. The potency of Knot of Rust damage may be increased for an easier boost of Dark Matter damage.
- The Alchemist is a very favorable primary job due to their ability to use three A-Abilities, one of which is always the Item A-Ability.
- An easy way to fight Alchemists is to Immobilize them since they have short magick range (Protometeor may be an exception) and then inflict Confuse or Berserk on them so they won't use magick or items freely.
- To easily defeat Alchemists, one should always inflict debuffs on any of their allies. Since they have Items have a tertiary A-Ability, they are prone to use restorative items such as a Remedy on their allies. They have low Defense, so one may want to back-attack them with a powerful all-out attack for an easy KO.
- An Alchemist can actually have the longest Action-list possible, with a secondary A-Ability, a Scion Accessory, and either getting an Opportunity Turn, or standing beside a Chest/Quest Object.