Accessory (アクセサリ, Akusesari?) is a classification of equipment in the Final Fantasy series that first appeared in Final Fantasy V. They were conceived and designed by Hiroyuki Ito, who made them supplementary items separate from normal Armor. They can provide a wide range of effects, from stat boosts, to providing the user with status buffs, or some other beneficial effect. Some more common Accessories are the Gold Hairpin, Reflect Ring, and the Ribbon.
Accessories have been classified by a variety sub-categories, including the following:
- Armlets - Accessories that are worn on the arm or on the hands. Examples include: Protect Ring, Astral Bracers, Silver Armlet, and Thief Gloves.
- Amulets - Special wards that usually increases Magic or prevents statuses.
- Belts - Accessories that are worn around the waist. Examples include: Black Belt, Champion Belt, and Muscle Belt.
- Boots - Accessories worn on the feet. Examples include: Battle Boots, Hermes Sandals, and Red Shoes.
- Gloves - Accessories that cover the entire hands.
- Rings - Accessories worn exclusively on the fingers.
In most games, each character can only equip one accessory at a time, excluding Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy X-2 where the player can equip two, and Final Fantasy XIII, where multiple extra slots can be unlocked. In these cases, it does not matter what type the accessory is as the player could potentially equip two Ribbons if they so choose. However, equipping two of the same accessory usually yields no additional bonus, with the exception of a few accessories such as Earrings and, in Final Fantasy XIII, synthesized abilities.