The 15 Puzzle is a secret minigame in the original Final Fantasy that can be played after having obtained the ship; the player must hold the button while in the ship and press several times until the game appears. It exists in nearly every version.
- NES/WonderSwan Color: Press & together 55 times.
- Origins: Press & together 55 times.
- Advance: Press & together 22 times.
- 20th Anniversary: Press & together 22 times.
- iOS/Windows Phone: Press the screen with one finger and touch the screen 23 times while holding.
- Verizon LG phone version: No way to access the puzzle game.
In the original NES version the reward for completing the puzzle is simply 100 gil. In Origins the prizes are better, including:
- 1st place: 10,000 gil
- 2nd place: 5,000 gil
- 3rd place: 2,000 gil
- Under 2 minutes: Antidote, Golden Needle, Potion
- Under 4 minutes: Antidote, Potion
- Under 6 minutes: Potion
In Dawn of Souls and the Anniversary Edition, the prizes are again improved to include the larger scope of items introduced:
- 1st place: Megalixir, X-Potion
- 2nd place: Dry Ether, Elixir, Remedy, Hermes's Shoes, Emergency Exit, Turbo Ether
- 3rd place: Spider's Silk, White Fang, White Curtain, Red Fang, Red Curtain, Blue Fang, Blue Curtain, Vampire's Fang, Cockatrice's Claw
- Just finishing: 100 gil, Potion, Antidote, Gold Needle, Ether, Phoenix Down, Eye Drops, Echo Grass
The times to complete the 15 Puzzle:
- 1st place: 0:30.00 or less
- 2nd place: 0:30.00 - 1:00.00
- 3rd place: 1:00.00 - 2:00.00
- 15 puzzle - Wikipedia's article on 15 Puzzle